Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

The thing is, the original East India Company is dead. The British state took it over and dissolved it after the Sepoy Revolt in the 1850s

The company in the linked tweet above isn’t a descendent of the megacorporation that Invaded and conquered India. It’s a shop that sells high-end tea, biscuits and yes, commemorative coins.

It was set up by someone who acquired the name, and thought that it would be a prestigious name for a luxury brand.

Knowing the history of the name , who on earth would choose to resurrect this particular bit of history?
The answer is- Someone from Mumbai

22 Likes

I was aware of that, from replies to the original tweet, thing is: that’s how imperialism works. You always need some traitors to shill for the rulers, and you will always find some. The equation is can they get enough cash to make themselves immune to being carted off and shot by the time the revolution happens? Either by having de facto power which subverts the new state or by fleeing with the imperial colonists when the people storm the capital.

5 Likes

thankfully rescinded. for now at least.

beyond the bad publicity, let’s hope they would have been sued and the board maybe to have been forced to work on the sales floor.

17 Likes

Cat & Girl

14 Likes

If this was satire I wouldn’t be laughing.

8 Likes

From a few months ago:

:musical_note: Some will try their best to justify this torture
By asking you who the slaves were brought from
As if we do not know, tell them "Get the hell out
Every genocide ever has had sell outs" :musical_note:

12 Likes

giphy

26 Likes

What, something wrong? Trump already bought the patent. Millions of diners everywhere are gonna LOVE this!

11 Likes

24 Likes

That fad will last less time than fidget spinners did.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Who wants some good news?

That appears to be the case here. When KCDC researchers tried to isolate and grow whole, infectious particles of SARS-CoV-2 from the 108 cases they were able to test—all 108 were negative for whole virus.

Further, when they did further blood work on 23 of the re-positive cases, nearly all of them (96 percent) had neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. This hints that they may have some immunity to a reinfection with the virus.

Yes, okay, she was 100. But it’s not, as everyone seems to like to assert, “oh, well, she had a foot in the grave anyway.”

Dying of Trumpvirus is not like dying in your sleep of a heart attack. I suspect it’s not even like dying of most cancers, since I’d guess that “pallative care” for your lungs destroying themselves would be essentially identical to assisted suicide. I suspect she suffered quite a bit. Thanks Steven Mnuchin for heroically being willing to sacrifice her for the DOW!

21 Likes

State public health departments are hiring thousands of these workers, and experts are calling for more than 100,000 contact tracers to be deployed across America.

Okay, at least one screamer in the article:

We wouldn’t do that in the United States, for both privacy and logistical reasons.

8 Likes

Team Tison all the way.

He isn’t the one who sounds like a whiny [gendered slur] here.

18 Likes

It sounds like something the Joker would say after blowing up the hospital in The Dark Knight Rises

20 Likes

BlondShockedHalicore-max-1mb

20 Likes

right? when should we draw the line where a person’s life no longer matters?

i hear 30 is a good age.

( renew! )

19 Likes

Birth, if you’re one of these folks:

26 Likes

a reflection of the country’s lack of testing capacity.

case in point, maryland’s numbers jumped significantly because they’re finally clearing through backlogs.

but as npr reports

roughly 25% of the 7,152 tests in that period resulted in positive diagnoses.

which is a gigantic positivity ratio. i think experts say a < 3% rate means you have enough tests. at 25% they haven’t even scratched the iceberg of cases that must be out in the general public.

it’s not clear to me ( as a complete non-expert ) that we can ever catch up at this point. it seems entirely possible that the rate of increasing spread could be greater than the rate of increasing tests.

we could have gotten ahead of the curve if we’d started in january… but now?

[eta: im guessing that viral spread is exponential, but testing capacity is roughly linear. here’s the best graph i could find of testing in the us. ]

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1262138549954129921

Man, I really am fond of the Rubberbandits. Thanks again to @thomdunn for letting us know they exist!

14 Likes