Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

From the sound of this, it’s not an isolated incident:

UFCW Local 400, which represents Copeland and 13,000 other workers at Kroger across seven states and Washington, D.C., told me:

We have recently received numerous reports of Kroger associates receiving collections letters from their employer. We are committed to investigating each case thoroughly and we will continue to advocate on behalf of our members. No matter how much Kroger wishes it were so, things are not back to normal. This is a time to be rewarding our heroes on the frontlines, not cutting their well-deserved pay.

On top of that, they ended their $2/hour “hero pay” two days ago. Because obviously the problem is over and everything can go back to normal, payroll-wise, despite everyone still needing to be decked out in masks and gloves, and 6-foot social distancing procedures still in place in stores.

17 Likes

Which shockingly they do every time there is a financial crisis while they are in charge. Or at least every time they’ve been in charge during my life time. Maybe they behaved differently 50 years ago: which is when I think the last original newspaper article must have been written.

7 Likes

It’s always the time for bailouts of rich people, silly.

16 Likes

I know. I hear you.

I saw that and I couldn’t even believe that accursed company still existed. They are legendarily and epic-ly horrible.

In a good and just universe, this company–nay this criminal corporation–would be dead dead dead.

If ever there were a compelling argument as to why corporations are bad, and since they can’t “die” like humans can, there’s a lot of power and money they aggregate infinitely, the East India Company would be one ultimate argument.

12 Likes

The radio broadcast of the story was everything one could imagine, and worse.

The tone the guy took, that smug yet affronted tone, the macho equivalent of pearl-clutching, just takes the cake. Makes me never want to go there, and I’m a huge fan of wildlands and natural areas.

4 Likes

The thing is, the original East India Company is dead. The British state took it over and dissolved it after the Sepoy Revolt in the 1850s

The company in the linked tweet above isn’t a descendent of the megacorporation that Invaded and conquered India. It’s a shop that sells high-end tea, biscuits and yes, commemorative coins.

It was set up by someone who acquired the name, and thought that it would be a prestigious name for a luxury brand.

Knowing the history of the name , who on earth would choose to resurrect this particular bit of history?
The answer is- Someone from Mumbai

22 Likes

I was aware of that, from replies to the original tweet, thing is: that’s how imperialism works. You always need some traitors to shill for the rulers, and you will always find some. The equation is can they get enough cash to make themselves immune to being carted off and shot by the time the revolution happens? Either by having de facto power which subverts the new state or by fleeing with the imperial colonists when the people storm the capital.

5 Likes

thankfully rescinded. for now at least.

beyond the bad publicity, let’s hope they would have been sued and the board maybe to have been forced to work on the sales floor.

17 Likes

Cat & Girl

14 Likes

If this was satire I wouldn’t be laughing.

8 Likes

From a few months ago:

:musical_note: Some will try their best to justify this torture
By asking you who the slaves were brought from
As if we do not know, tell them "Get the hell out
Every genocide ever has had sell outs" :musical_note:

12 Likes

giphy

26 Likes

What, something wrong? Trump already bought the patent. Millions of diners everywhere are gonna LOVE this!

11 Likes

24 Likes

That fad will last less time than fidget spinners did.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Who wants some good news?

That appears to be the case here. When KCDC researchers tried to isolate and grow whole, infectious particles of SARS-CoV-2 from the 108 cases they were able to test—all 108 were negative for whole virus.

Further, when they did further blood work on 23 of the re-positive cases, nearly all of them (96 percent) had neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. This hints that they may have some immunity to a reinfection with the virus.

Yes, okay, she was 100. But it’s not, as everyone seems to like to assert, “oh, well, she had a foot in the grave anyway.”

Dying of Trumpvirus is not like dying in your sleep of a heart attack. I suspect it’s not even like dying of most cancers, since I’d guess that “pallative care” for your lungs destroying themselves would be essentially identical to assisted suicide. I suspect she suffered quite a bit. Thanks Steven Mnuchin for heroically being willing to sacrifice her for the DOW!

21 Likes

State public health departments are hiring thousands of these workers, and experts are calling for more than 100,000 contact tracers to be deployed across America.

Okay, at least one screamer in the article:

We wouldn’t do that in the United States, for both privacy and logistical reasons.

8 Likes

Team Tison all the way.

He isn’t the one who sounds like a whiny [gendered slur] here.

18 Likes

It sounds like something the Joker would say after blowing up the hospital in The Dark Knight Rises

20 Likes