Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

BlondShockedHalicore-max-1mb

20 Likes

right? when should we draw the line where a person’s life no longer matters?

i hear 30 is a good age.

( renew! )

19 Likes

Birth, if you’re one of these folks:

26 Likes

a reflection of the country’s lack of testing capacity.

case in point, maryland’s numbers jumped significantly because they’re finally clearing through backlogs.

but as npr reports

roughly 25% of the 7,152 tests in that period resulted in positive diagnoses.

which is a gigantic positivity ratio. i think experts say a < 3% rate means you have enough tests. at 25% they haven’t even scratched the iceberg of cases that must be out in the general public.

it’s not clear to me ( as a complete non-expert ) that we can ever catch up at this point. it seems entirely possible that the rate of increasing spread could be greater than the rate of increasing tests.

we could have gotten ahead of the curve if we’d started in january… but now?

[eta: im guessing that viral spread is exponential, but testing capacity is roughly linear. here’s the best graph i could find of testing in the us. ]

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1262138549954129921

Man, I really am fond of the Rubberbandits. Thanks again to @thomdunn for letting us know they exist!

14 Likes

26 Likes

Does that mean those of us who have never watched that bullshit will survive?

21 Likes

Hey you, that’s MY plan!
:smile:

14 Likes

It was 21 in the book

( that’s why they had communal childcare, nobody could raise their own kids to adulthood because the parents wouldn’t live that long )

15 Likes

Since when going to buy cheap alcohol been unnecessary travel?

7 Likes

If you want to get angry, you should look into the shortage of Propofol.

Ventilators are important, but if we can’t use them safely, we can have as many ICUs with ventilators as we like.

It’s been on and off the list of medications on short supply since at least 2013.

13 Likes
12 Likes

An oft-voiced sentiment during the ‘70s, only then the enemy was communism, not paper masks and good hygiene.

7 Likes

Does he realize that potatoes are a high yield crop? Anyone with a spare few minutes here and there can get 15 to 18 pounds of potatoes from a 5 pound bag of seed potatoes in many different enviroments. Plus a big bag of them would be difficult to loot seeing how heavy they can be. Dumbest fucking thing to attempt to loot.

17 Likes
12 Likes

Step off Charles… feudalism is America’s thing these days.

12 Likes
15 Likes
12 Likes

Tyler Perry talked about restarting tv production at his studio in Atlanta

“I’m excited about it,” Perry tells Variety . “I’m excited about being able to make sure that people can take care of themselves and support their families, but also excited about setting a template here that I think could work everywhere.”

He’ll test the cast and his “drastically” scaled back Atlanta-based crew when they arrive at the studio and before they begin production, and four more times during the two-and-a-half-week shoots for each show. Everyone on the set will wear protective masks, and group scenes will be held until after the fourth day on set, when everyone has been tested again. Meals will be served in different “catering pods” on the largest soundstage to maximize social distancing. Perry will fly out-of-town cast members in on his private plane, and, since the studio is a decommissioned U.S. Army compound, everyone working on the production will live on campus.

“It’s really a military effort — and no better place to do that than a former military base,” says Perry.

When asked how much all of these preventive measures will add to the price tag of production, the self-made mogul acknowledges, “It’s an enormous undertaking and an enormous cost to the budget.”

Speaking of Variety articles. That trollies movie release might have been the thing to finally sour people on going to theaters

9 Likes
4 Likes