Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

I know for sure that even trumpers in rural Virginia are asking themselves “What the fuck is he talking about potatoes for?” but, as soon as they hear “2nd amendment” it’s all “Hell yeah bro! You gets my vote!”.

6 Likes

Glad to see this, but workers for that company (and associated firms) should be wary of direct deposit. Most agreements for it authorize money transfers in both directions - deposit and withdrawal. I learned this on my first job with the State of NJ. They made an overpayment mistake during one pay cycle on a Friday, and processed a withdrawal for an incorrect amount in the middle of the following week. They corrected that error the following Friday because everyone had a two-week pay period.

Multiple employees complained about bounced checks they had written and automated payments that failed because of the withdrawals. They requested reimbursement for the bank fees that were charged to their accounts for each failed transaction. The payroll department reminded them about the dual nature of the agreement they had signed when setting up direct deposit, as well as the disclaimer that employees were responsible for any fees associated with use of the service.

14 Likes

He should lead by example.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure the act of wearing a cloth facemask that’s completely drenched in water is called ‘waterboarding’.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Ugh, wow. Sounds like a great way to promote sabotage by employees.

8 Likes

It probably caused a lot of people to open new bank accounts (or set up overdraft protection). That incident is one of the reasons I’m not a fan of automatic payments.

9 Likes

Literary accuracy or Michael York? They made the right choice. :heart_eyes:

(Though he was just 25 or so*)

*ETA Narrator: He was not (see @smulder below).

3 Likes
13 Likes

In the US, cheap labor has been turned into a corporate goal. Companies and policymakers who view this as a good thing probably won’t be satisfied until they bring back rates from the '50s (the 1850s):

18 Likes

1976 − 1942 = 34

It seems ripe for a reboot as an eight-film “young-adult dystopia” series

3 Likes

waterboarding is filling as much of the head and throat as possible with water so the victim can’t breathe

it’s only different from “drowning” in that water is not supposed to fill the lungs

2 Likes

No, he doesn’t.

Remember: Trump does not know anything about anything. He’s a void of ignorance.

16 Likes

We are all born ignorant. Stupidity is learned. Trump is stupid. It may be the only thing he has learned.

10 Likes
7 Likes

i miss when conspiracy theories centered around planetary geometry, alien abductions, and too much floride in the water.

i know that “zionist” conspiracy theories have been harmful for a long time, i guess it’s just seeing pizza pedophilia, crisis actors, 5g truthers, deep state swamps, birth certificate gate, and mask activated latent diseases…

it makes me yearn for some good old fashioned homeopathy

7 Likes

And where would they find lifeguards?

cheney

Oh… never mind.

4 Likes

Gosh, but they were following* the guidelines**!

* No one is following the guidelines.
** Also, there are no formal guidelines.

Republican Gov. Larry Hogan made the decision given that hospitalizations and hospital bed occupancy were either stable or in decline, as NPR noted. He also said the state had the means to perform contact tracing for up to 1,000 cases per day—a figure that was significantly surpassed on Tuesday.

Once again, if your medical system is not overwhelmed…you’re still looking at 1% fatalities. That’s 10,000 people per million (the popular metric), or 60,000 people in Maryland alone.

This is ignoring (as everyone does!) that of the people this disease doesn’t kill, enough of them are permanently crippled that the US military has now decided that having had the diseased disqualifies you from military service.

22 Likes

In this post-truth, post-history kinda world, some ironic hipster?

Yeah, someone in Mumbai, who even today is handing money etc. to… a registrant in London. :roll_eyes: Nearly all that data is masked.

Speaking of India, Kerala state has been nailing it–go them!

21 Likes

All this means is that they use a DNS registration service who screens their Whois information (most registrars offer this, and it’s recommended), probably part of an overall website maintenance contract. We’re almost as far from London and also use UK-based contractors for some of our web work.

6 Likes