Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

For 23 percent of the infection cases in this period, the place of infection is unknown.

So…probably about 23 percent were infected in a public place, since other places would almost certainly be traceable.

3 Likes

Yeah, I wondered about that too, though I suppose the FHI tracing questions would have included obvious public places, like beach outings or the BLM protests. I’ve been too lazy to look at the original FHI reports to see if there is more information there.

2 Likes

Because the ER would test them and tell them they can’t go do fun things. Or admit them and keep them from doing fun things.

It’s not stupid, it’s selfish.

19 Likes

This is why they tell people to self-isolate when they have even one bad symptom…JUST IN CASE.
This is why you wait in self-isolation for two weeks…JUST IN CASE.
Because if you’re asymptomatic, you really don’t know, so you wait until you do know…JUST IN CASE!

Lordt.

18 Likes

beats the hell out of being dead.

16 Likes

You know it is truly the shittiest timeline when you wake up to top news on the Beeb that the President Of The United States Of America wore a face mask in public for the first time.

20 Likes

The bar is so low at this point that doing the bare minimum becomes laudable.

16 Likes

you’ve just described my parents.

they are believers in the “american dream”, and they have an incredibly hard time processing the concept of systemic racism or unjust foreign wars.

right now im having to argue with my mother that no heat wont make this go away ( hello arizona ) and no hydroxychloroquine ( whatever study fox news is pushing today is bunk just like the last ones ) won’t save her life if she gets ill.

it’s just too much for them to integrate their lifelong concept of america with the actual reality of america and its failures.

18 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/parenting/pregnancy/pregnancy-coronavirus-data.

PSA nag screen and paywalls:

the NYT nag screen which I am not able to shut of in most (mobile) browsers doegs not turn up if you setup your browser very restrictively, or use Firefox Focus (for German play store/app store users: Firefox Klar).

Also, fuck: The NYT and WaPo made sure Outline dot com doesn’t work any longer with their paywall shit.
I now have to fire up TOR or my VPN. Fuck your attitude, yo. I’m rather paying The Guardian more money than giving way to your approach.

And FUCK YOU especially because I can’t use your page to be read aloud by Google Assistant.
I came to love this feature. My eyesight is deterioration at an alarming rate, and this is godsend to me. (FTR, the ophthalmolist I saw just was an asshole about it and said for one person it’s earlier, for the other later. My concerns that my preexisting conditions had something to do with it weren’t even considered. As a scientist, I am, again, appalled by the lack of interest of practicioners in listening to patients.

ETA:

@docosc , have you been successful in finding that Italian study by Felizia and colleagues with 31 pregnant women? You posted the ABC link above, and I had a quick rummaging but wasn’t able to find a bloody news outlet which would link to the (pre-printed, I assume?) paper.

Not that I am in the state to read papers right now. But I wanted to pass it on for further comment to a friend who’s a clinical researcher (not a virologist, but at least close enough to comment).

5 Likes

"I’ve never been against masks but I do believe they have a time and a place," he said as he left the White House.

PSA: do not, repeat: do not, even try to apply logic to anything this man does or says. Doing so will only make your brain hurt.

20 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had this: a sudden (like one day) deterioration in my eyesight ascribed to “aging” with no further curiosity on the part of the opthamologist.

As for the rest:

paywalls

I subscribe to WaPo so haven’t experienced their firewall, and while I can access the NYT through my job I usually do it by reloading then abruptly stopping the browser.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen this before (it dates back months already). Though this would be uplifting, and also possibly an inspiration to makers elsewhere.

3 Likes

I don’t know…this next news report just seems really fishy to me. From seeing it with my own eyes, there’s not really much slowdown in border crossings at this point in time. Tijuana is largely bustling because people need to work. Though the elderly and other fringe demographics haven’t returned to jobs like bagging groceries, many have simply changed over to alternative means of making money, like setting up small grocery resale stands or making and selling custom facemasks.
I sincerely hope this isn’t an incident replayed in a racist light like some similar incidents involving conservative folks in the USA, retold with themselves playing out as the heroes or victims.

13 Likes

A lot of the people there are probably thinking they’re going way out of their way to sell a liberal hoax

13 Likes

No, I was unable to find the original article, which is weird, and certainly raises a concern for me.

5 Likes

And here is the paper in question:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2521-4

4 Likes

@RickMycroft Screw The Politeness: Canadians Respond To U.S. Calls To Reopen Border

Editorial cartoon in the Toronto Star yesterday sums it up, I’d say, eh?

25 Likes

@TobinL They will. Just wait a few weeks.

I make it about 4, 4½ weeks, eyeballing it… That up-tick in deaths is starting to look like more than a statistical twitch due to lagged reporting.

9 Likes
18 Likes

Good boy!!!

18 Likes