Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

The reality check is far worse, though.

22 Likes

Well, yeah. Itā€™s a really bad reaction and as weā€™ve seen, can lead to seriously self-destructive behavior. I was just adding to @Ratel 's comment, pointing out that genuine fear is also a powerful motivator here, in addition to stubborn tribalism and conspiracy-theory nonsense.

11 Likes

Oh, I grok the skewed psychology involved, Iā€™m just saying that it overrides whatever logic such a person might possess.

This is yet another result of the Dumbening, IMO.

20 Likes

certainly, the rest of the metro area (except maybe in the redder northern counties) will follow suitā€¦?

6 Likes
14 Likes
15 Likes

Restrictions for the soldiers there were apparently eased around 3 weeks ago.

15 Likes
21 Likes

Thatā€™s not exaggerating. Thread:

12 Likes

In a sign of the growing concern, the leadership at the University of California at Berkeley sent an urgent appeal Wednesday to students, noting that the number of coronavirus cases on campus had more than doubled in just a week. The majority of cases have been traced back to fraternity or sorority social gatherings

19 Likes

I have to admit, that looks safer than quite a few places in my city.

13 Likes

Iā€™m kind of getting a down and out in the magic kingdom vibe hereā€¦

14 Likes

Hey, at least nobody had to park in Tampa today.

6 Likes

Today in Lake Tahoe, according to the Sacramento Bee (story is paywalled):

Headline: ā€˜People donā€™t seem very scared up hereā€™

11 Likes

It turns out the alternative to a taco truck on every corner is much bleaker.

23 Likes

Much the same here in Tijuana. Our Loud Neighbors are back to their pre-pandemic ways, out in the street, maskless, drinking, with lots of physical contact. Why canā€™t the most selfish bastards be the ones to get sick?

22 Likes

They will. Just wait a few weeks.

15 Likes

Because then they go do shit like this:

17 Likes

You canā€™t fix stupid.
Why they are not at the ER boggles me.

15 Likes

OK, this needs strong disclaimers: it is only the experience of one country, where (a) the infection rate is extremely low, and (b) people are more inclined to social distance than almost anywhere else in the world.

2 Likes