Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Assuming they don’t cancel the election “for safety” when Trumpvirus deaths pass 200,000 in October.

9 Likes

Apparently Jared is hard at work on contingencies in that event.

4 Likes

They can’t. Elections are held by states, and the executive branch can’t control them.

5 Likes

ww73i4gl2mh21

5 Likes

The less reliable the data, the easier it is to spin.

17 Likes

Oh man, my Mom tried interferon for hepatitis and in addition to making her very physically ill it interacted with her bipolar disorder, inducing psychotic episodes. It was bad.

She did not make it though the course, it was too hard.

I’ve heard other unpleasant stories from other people.

(After a few years jumping though hoops, she qualified for free access to the newer Hepatitis treatments and is clear now)

25 Likes
7 Likes

Yes, exactly. This early, preliminary (cannot emphasize this enough) research opens some interesting avenues for further research, but I am not at all convinced that it shortens the timeframe for expecting an effective treatment or prophylactic for this beast.

16 Likes
16 Likes

I drove past a Walmart yesterday and the parking lot was jammed full. I mean like Xmas level full.

Crazy.

14 Likes

12 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/22/sweden-u-turn-controversial-covid-19-strategy

11 Likes

Your faith in Joe Biden not to completely fuck this election up is admirable, if perhaps misplaced.

12 Likes
6 Likes

The naked emperor is angry once again at people saying that his dangly bits are flapping around in the wind

13 Likes

I am trying to be optimistic, and I respect the people running his campaign in a way that I did not respect HRC’s idiots. (Biden himself of course is a zero.) This conversation at 538 is maybe appropriate.

I also assume that his pandemic strategy will be a simple copy of the Obama strategy – Neil Kinnock would attest that Biden is a dab hand at copying – which is a good thing.

(Edited since I mixed up “dab hand” with “old hat”)

6 Likes

The majority of which are run by Republicans. Hmm, sounds like something that would go to the Supreme Court.

download (1)

8 Likes

The research does offer a glimmer of hope, though. One concern researchers have had about a plain-Jane antigen-based vaccine is the cytokine storm. The video conference I attended made a point of that. If they can avoid delivery of the part of the virus that inhibits the near-field anti-interferon effect, then they should also be able to avoid kicking off the cytokine storm entirely. A regular antigen-based vaccine is likely the first kind to be available and is the easiest to produce, since its the kind we have the most experience with.

20 Likes

BBC: Some guy says acting earlier would have saved lives. Could it? Who can say?

10 Likes

18 Likes