Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Yes, I followed the links. Short videos without information don’t help someone who doesn’t already know everything about what they’re watching.

So, Sanders is the person we never saw the face (or even head) of in the stands? And who is she?

And who is this other person who was protesting in the stands? And why does standing up in a balcony, holding a sign, and yelling constitute attacking someone who presumably was down at least one level on a stage?

And why do we care about this Sanders person, or this protestor?

This seems to be a really important issue between well-known public figures to you. What am I missing?

5 Likes

Like the rest of us, the point.
I don’t know either. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Sanders is a Biden aid. She was in this post upthread from @mr_raccoon decimating a Fox news analyst on Trump’s coronavirus policy. I’ve noticed Sanders quite a lot during the primaries, think she is a strong point in the Biden campaign, so I posted something nice about her in response to the other post. Then things started to derail.

I only meant to give support to the post of the interview. If I’d suspected it would lead to such a sidetrack I might have tried to find a different Sanders accomplishment to mention in the sentence, but that is one of the striking things she’s done this campaign.

8 Likes

“ Some demonstrators have taken to wearing a yellow Star of David, similar to the cloth badges Jewish people were forced to wear during the Nazi era, to highlight what they see as the stigmatisation they face for refusing to receive a vaccination against the virus, should one become available.”

“That’s exactly what I imagined the “Land of the Free” looks like.”

18 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/hedge-fund-chief-says-its-time-to-go-for-herd-immunity

On a CNBC appearance yesterday he lamented “how the politicians and the media and the academic community and the scientific community have taken hold of this debate,” and announced it’s time to push on to herd immunity.

The nerve of these people!

23 Likes

They say from their bunkers.

24 Likes

Thank you for that. I did see mr_raccoon’s post, but since I couldn’t even see who the person was who went after the protestor with the sign in your post, I was completely confused by what the heck was going on and what it had to do with this thread.

10 Likes

Remember who the victims are, and why the country is fine with so many deaths:

23 Likes

SSDD

24 Likes

She said he must have found it satisfying to end his career in the way that he did.

He was working for Mr Obama, “a dignified president who was also African American”, she said, adding: “That must have felt like a victory.”

26 Likes

I honestly have no idea where you stand. From my perspective, you keep moving the goalposts; implying things then saying you didn’t; then doubling down on it. That is my perception of where you stand on this - you aren’t standing. You’re all over the place and I’m trying to figure it out. If you don’t want me to figure it out, please let me know, so I can disengage in the conversation.

For reference, here’s where I stand regarding Sweden: I think they’ve badly mishandled the coronavirus response. I think they followed the path of least resistance, socially, and counted on their cultural low close social contacts to keep the spread low and manageable, and it bit them in the ass. There is no ambiguity in the data to date: their response, regardless of intent, failed miserably. I hope they turn it around, but they appear to be looking for reasons why they were right all along instead of adjusting course, and that’s worrisome. Because when it comes down to it, we’re all in this together; everyone; globally.

I will ask you to stop insinuating that I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m consuming US and UK media coverage on Sweden. I am most certainly not. I’m following the reported numbers, and the excerpts from Swedish media posted here. I will also ask you to stop insinuating that I’m being dishonest. I’m playing this 100% straight with you, and feel like you are not doing likewise.

18 Likes

I nearly quipped “Is that train still running?”
Of course it is.
Some assholes deem it essential. :rage:

15 Likes
18 Likes

Jesus H, he quotes Nelson Mandela to conclude his plutocratic point

9 Likes

Coronavirus news dominates the press as usual, but Helsingin Sanomat has a piece on one potential end point for this epidemic: a vaccine.

The paper looks at how smaller countries like Finland might acquire millions of doses of a potential vaccine, if it is developed.

In effect, Finland has two options: Negotiating directly with manufacturers or the EU’s joint procurement procedures.

In the age of US President Donald Trump and his ‘America First’ politics, that could be a complicated transaction.

HS notes that around half the some 120 vaccine candidates are developed in the United States. A fifth are in Europe and a fifth in China.

The Oxford University group has said the vaccine they are working on will not be sold to a single commercial operator, although they have already agreed a deal with AstraZeneca for some production.

Seven other projects have also entered clinical trials, with four of those in China. Two others are US vaccines, with one a joint German-US production.

The goal is to ensure that the vaccine is distributed as equitably as possible. HS quotes Meri Koivusalo from Tampere University as saying that the most sensible way would be to give it to healthcare workers first, as that would also ensure healthcare systems stood up to the challenge of handling large numbers of Covid-19 patients.

The ideal situation, according to HS, would be that several vaccines are proven successful and Finland has a choice. That way the price might also be lower.

17 Likes

I don’t think this will be an issue by the time a vaccine is developed. A Biden administration is likely to act as the Obama administration did for such crises, and cooperate with the other wealthy nations. For pandemic like this it is in everyone’s interest that everyone in the world have access to the vaccine, and I think that that fact will drive US and EU policy.

Of course, getting people in the US to take the vaccine will be a problem because we’re apparently broken in that respect, but that just means more is available for small countries and the third world.

6 Likes

Yeah, how dare people who actually know the subject try to express an opinion! They should just do what the rich folks say and die, already! This is now officially boring!

16 Likes

That’s fascinating (in a sort of morbid way.) It would explain why there are so many inflammatory complications to this bug vs other, similar viral illnesses. There are unspoken implications, though, whenever a veteran researcher says “this is something never seen before.” Mostly of the “we have a shitload of connections, side effects and unintended consequences to trace here” sort, and as stated, interferon are not at all benign drugs. But at least now we can say the strokes, PIMS and etc make some sense.

20 Likes

Just a followup to this BB post about research at U Penn, there’s this:

The dogs that we’re using in these trials are labradors and cocker spaniels and some of them are a mix of the two. They’re excellent dogs

I’m sure they are, but I wonder if the spanradors were intentionally bred for this purpose, also why they didn’t consider springadors. Or beagles.

6 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/just-7-per-cent-of-stockholm-had-covid-19-antibodies-by-end-of-april-study-sweden-coronavirus

7 Likes