Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

28 Likes

A Madison, WI coffee shop that declared itself a “mask free zone” in defiance of county mask order is closing permanently after landlord chooses not to renew lease.

24 Likes

Fancy that. Its everyone’s fault except their own.

16 Likes

Some people need the big cluestick.

19 Likes
12 Likes

Ehkäisy on paras suoja. (Prevention is the best protection) NSFW?

4 Likes

Further data shenanigans as US virus data collection to be handled by the CDC again

12 Likes

" Hospitals were given a few days’ notice to adopt the reporting change. They were told that compliance with the new reporting tools would determine their access to the federal supply of remdesivir, one of the few drugs proven to work against COVID-19."

Beyond belief…

19 Likes

Oh no, absolutely on point for this administration. Evil, heartless, clueless and petty. That is their whole gig.

16 Likes

An is/ought situation, because requiring people whose fault it isn’t to pay is one reason we can’t have nice things. Some idiot comes on your property and does something stupid and it’s your responsibility? Might be the legal framework but come on. The closer responsibility aligns with fault the better, for society. Holding people responsible for things they don’t control doesn’t make sense.

Again, employers are fucked no matter which of these they pick then. No masks, they’re responsible for people getting sick, maimed or dead. Masks and they’re responsible for their employees getting punched. What are they supposed to do (I mean, besides not be open)?

2 Likes

Nope. You are not responsible as an employer for crazy fuckers illegally assaulting your workers. Now, in Ireland at least, your insurance would be expected to cover it as the injury occured in the act of doing your job and wasn’t the employees fault, they wouldn’t have any contributory negligence. Pretty much everyone would have a civil case against the assaulting person as well as the obvious criminal prosecution. That this person would likely be made of straw is why workplace insurance is mandatory.

ETA

An employer would be responsible, financially, for an outbreak if they banned masks though. And the insurance company would likely tell them to fuck off. Might not as they might still want the business but most likely would.

I believe you can contract away statutory rights in the US based on what people have said about employment contacts here so possibly occasionally he above may not be true for the US.

5 Likes

I took @d_r’s comment to mean worker’s compensation insurance. Employers in the US need to pay into an insurance pool to cover injuries that workers sustain while at work. Employers also have a responsibility to refer any employee who sustains an injury to worker’s comp. As a matter of fact, most health insurance will NOT cover a job injury.

Without worker’s comp, the underemployed, underpaid, uninsured would be further penalized with large hospital bills.

11 Likes

Dicknoser. What a perfect word for these people.

15 Likes

Nearly 600 Miami-Dade County Public Schools employees have tested positive for COVID-19

BY COLLEEN WRIGHT

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article245091710.html#storylink=cpy

16 Likes

And an interactive world data comparison tool courtesy of this chap.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/Ohx4a/2/

12 Likes

Employers are obligated to provide a safe workplace. This is common law going back hundreds of years. If the employee is somehow responsible, then the doctrine of contributory negligence gives the employer some protection. In this case the employee was attempting to enforce a workplace policy, so his injury is the employer’s responsibility.

That holds even for your home; cf “attractive nuisance”

6 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes

I think as she says half is easily more accurate. With near-saturation, even if you are contact traced to a person in a restaurant, it could have been people without symptoms in your grocery store or at home. During lockdown it was more clear cut, now it’s just a guess.

5 Likes
  1. I think it’s known that I’m a science-based medicine guy, yes? I am not in any sense an antivaxxer.

2. That said, I would be very hesitant to take any Covid vaccine produced by the USA in the current circumstances. It is very obvious that the vaccine development process is being heavily influenced by political concerns. This is not a recipe for good science; it’s a recipe for a mass public health disaster.

26 Likes