Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

And who knows if any of us (who still have) will maintain employment this year? Or take a significant pay or hours cut?

15 Likes

Oh, Iā€™ve already been given a Covid-19 20% hour cut. (Trying to stay on topic!)

10 Likes

Pay cut here.

9 Likes

That sucks. One crisis on top of another on top of another, even if itā€™s just little crises, and it gets heavy.

9 Likes

Thanks. It was much better than everyone who lost jobs or their small businesses.

13 Likes

This includes various examples (the Uprisings, coronavirus, and BLM):

13 Likes

But no sign that the fan actually transmitted to anyone else at the game? From the photos the stadium looks fairly empty, though of course the fanā€™s box might have been crowded.

Some athletic events (such as the Liverpool-Athletico Madrid Championā€™s League match) do seem to have been superspreading events, but I think that is a function of the stadium being pretty full.

4 Likes
17 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty strange; on my campus (and every campus I know of) we are being reminded quite a lot to accommodate students as much as possible during this period. I suspect that is the case at UC as well.

This will probably lead to a pile-on, which is too bad as he appears to be an adjunct so pretty much in the position of least power in the university. He should have a talking-to, and his decision should be reversed, but I can see worse happening.

1 Like

Oh, I hope thereā€™s a swift and severe response for that ā€œchinese virusā€ language - talk about doubling down on discrimination!

24 Likes
18 Likes

itā€™s our virus now, if anyoneā€™s.

18 Likes

ā€œchinese virusā€

He needs to be fired and then expelled from any program he might be in.

23 Likes

ā€œI knew that we were going to end up having some cases, but I didnā€™t expect they would be on the first day,ā€ he said.

Honestly not worth posting these anymore.

19 Likes

Heā€™s probably a racist asshole, but I donā€™t think you can be fired for using the same language to describe this that the POTUS uses. He can be fired for treating students unreasonably, and probably will be because heā€™s an adjunct. If this is typical of how he does his job then he should be, otherwise someone with sense needs to decide how irredeemable he is before tossing him on the trash heap. We treat adjunct faculty as disposable commodities in universities, and it is despicable.

1 Like

Yeah. Some of us know that. Most of us arenā€™t adjuncts because weā€™re racist assholes.

14 Likes

I think you can if itā€™s racistā€¦

12 Likes

Only mildly on topic here, but I havenā€™t had a haircut since January, and Iā€™m totally disappointed in the amount of hair Iā€™ve managed to grow. I figured by now itā€™d be long enough to get some good headbanging out of, but instead itā€™s barely long enough to run my fingers through.

8 Likes

Well, you can fire an adjunct for anything; anyone who has been in this position (except maybe this guy) is acutely aware of how precarious the position is. What the political reality is in Cincinnati I couldnā€™t say.

4 Likes

Infection age dropping

Iltalehti looks at fresh statistics from the Finnish Institute of Heath and Welfare THL showing that the highest incidence of coronavirus infections is now among teenagers and young adults, while the number of coronavirus infections among older at-risk groups has decreased sharply.

The proportion of young people infected with the virus began to increase in August. A total of 744 infections were diagnosed during August, most of them among young adults and those under 60 years of age. Among children under the age of four, the number of infections doubled from 13 in July to 26 in August. There was also a large increase in infections among school-age and secondary school students compared to July.

During the spring, the number of cases was by far the highest among those over 75 years of age, with a total of 442 recorded in that age group in April.

5 Likes