Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Heh. I knew one guy who was with the 47ID, and they would jokingly turn their patch upside down and call it the Flying Jockstrap.

Original:

Inverted:
47th_Division_Shoulder_Patch

8 Likes

It looks like there’s an additional attachment.

3 Likes

Regina Romero has saved thousands, if not tens of thousands of lives. Remember, she recruited the mayors of the major cities of Arizona, and they fought murderer Doug Ducey for the ability to enact mask mandates in their jurisdictions.

16 Likes

Here she is again, endangering lives. This woman needs to be charged with endangering public health.

ETA: “The fact-based mandate…”, “We have talked to authorities…”

That manager is a badass!

11 Likes

Couldn’t find it, but in the past month someone suggested using a projector to display all the names of those who died in the US during the pandemic. I thought that the new white wall surrounding the WH would make a good screen. Until a permanent memorial could be built, that would keep those names visible - and the folks responsible would see them every night.

14 Likes
13 Likes

This was older than I thought, and still a great idea from @bluehenbear :

14 Likes

Another reason I don’t trust Xtians in political positions. Their concept of “This world is not my home, I can die happily and go to heaven” works against us during a preventable pandemic, I think.

13 Likes

More crying Cops. Every day it’s a cop being so scared he kills some kid, too sensitive to tolerate critique, too inept to be accountable to the laws they enforce, to weak now to wear a mask.

8 Likes

The Helsinki tabloid Ilta-Sanomat writes that the World Health Organization (WHO) and public health officials in the UK have warned of a possible decline in the effectiveness of face masks in rainy and humid conditions.

The paper reports that Finland’s VTT Technical Research Centre, which tests and verifies the effectiveness of masks, takes a more positive view of how well they function even in the damp.

Hannu Salmela, who heads VTT’s research team, says that the normal humidity from breathing through a mask must be taken into account. He pointed out to Ilta-Sanomat that the recommendations for surgical masks is to change to a new one about every hour.

“I don’t see the need to change the recommendation according to the weather,” he said.

The paper also raised the question of whether or not face masks are effective in sub-zero temperatures.

Salmela stated that the mask works under such conditions, but if it freezes, the effectiveness will indeed suffer. On the other hand, drier winter air reduces the level of moisture and the problem of wetting and freezing of the mask will reduce as the weather cools.

And then there’s the question of the use of face masks in sauna.

A sauna is a typical interior where it can be difficult to maintain safe distances. Asked whether or not masks should be used in public saunas, Hannu Salmela told Ilta-Sanomat he doesn’t see the need to do so, nor would be recommend their use in sauna.

“The relative humidity and temperatures rise very high when you throw water to produce steam in a sauna, and the masks are not designed to be used in such conditions like that,” Salmela pointed out.

5 Likes

Kind of confusing. We are breathing out very humid air every time we breathe. I suppose they could be relying on that to keep the mask from freezing, but that would depend on how cold it is, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

Is anyone explaining to him that you can be dying from something and take drugs and feel awesome? It’s just so painfully obvious that what he calls “going with his gut” or whatever is really just deciding reality based on his overall mood. That’s so incredibly dangerous in a leader, pandemic or not.

14 Likes
20 Likes
15 Likes

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin health officials announced Wednesday that a field hospital will open next week at the state fairgrounds near Milwaukee as a surge in COVID-19 cases threatens to…

This is what I feared back in the summer. I kept saying “I really hope I am wrong, but…” and I am still not 100% sure, but it isn’t looking good.

People have this idea that hospitals are by default mostly empty, I think. They look up how many beds a hospital has, they see, say 900, and think “Gosh, this isn’t bad at all, we only have 300 people hospitalized for Covid in this city.” That’s not the reality at all.

Hospitals that stand empty don’t stay in business. You could make the comparison to hotels. My hospital varies from 75%-85% occupancy normally, and there have been many, many times we were pretty much full without a pandemic.

We have preparedness levels based on how many hospitalized covid inpatients we have. Levels 1-3 range from 0-46 to 129-256. It goes to level 5 (384+), but you don’t want to think about levels 4 and 5, I certainly don’t.

By the far side of level 2, you’re gonna have all non-emergency procedures pretty much shut down. That means care for anything non-emergent is postponed. Anything over 3 is going to be unthinkable. We are not a small hospital, we’re as big as it gets in this state.

Wear your masks. If you are outside your home, pretend you are already ill and you don’t want to give it to anyone. I really, really do hope I am wrong about this fall/winter.

24 Likes

The head of the National Coronavirus Task Force models risk reduction after the debates and while he’s required to self quarantine.

25 Likes

That’s gonna make for some really challenging sound reinforcement. The acoustic properties of walking waterbags are fairly well understood, but that…

1 Like

Death cult isn’t the right label, but I dunno what to call it. Walker has a mask in his hand. Of course you take it off when you are hugging up to the person in the room most likely to give you covid.

I think a lot of these photos are going to be seen differently than they expect in the future.

13 Likes

16 Likes

I doubt it, but I also doubt that if anyone did he would hear and comprehend it.

6 Likes