Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Wow, I just saw that this morning!

And totally agree, I very much appreciated the different and important angle.

7 Likes

Scenes from a Multiverse

This is an entirely partially true story that happened to me at the Taco Bell. Edited for length and entertainment value. Enjoy.

7 Likes

Interview with a Chinese virologist:

12 Likes

The regional health director is my neighbor. After passing him on one such trail as you describe, I asked him about it. Outside, you’re pretty safe. Also, social distancing isn’t just 6ft, it’s also 10 minutes. So sliding by someone on the trail isn’t likely to infect either of you. Inside is more of a problem, because of less ventilation, hence the mask.
However, if it looks like those pool pictures in the thread above from a day ago, please find other trails.
I know this isn’t definitive, but it’s information I got from an expert.

ETA: That was supposed to be reply to @Ratel about face masks outside on single track trail. I’m not sure why it’s a general reply on the thread.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s accurate to speak of this definitively. They may be very unlikely to, but I don’t think it’s completely impossible.

7 Likes

Point conceded. Edited to appear less definitive.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Can we deport Gavin McInnes yet?

6 Likes
3 Likes

19 Likes

So he thinks young people doing this is irresponsible, but stubborn old farts who have an easier time dying from the virus who think they’re expressing their freedom by refusing to wear a mask is not? Got it.

11 Likes

I assume he wasn’t wearing a mask? Our public health authority also doesn’t recommend masks for outside use by undiagnosed people, based on their literature survey; unfortunately, they also don’t recommend them for inside use.

In a region where spread is relatively high, if the trails are packed then the argument would be that you are possibly breathing particles from several people one after the other. It is not something I have thought much about, since I don’t find crowded beaches (or crowded trails) much fun, and avoid them like the…uh oh, bad idiom.

It is interesting how our social perceptions have changed as the disease has spread. Early last March, I had this post flagged repeatedly. Now I think everyone would just take it as a normal response.

However, if it looks like those pool pictures in the thread above from a day ago, please find other trails.

I wonder if there is any information on C19 cases resulting from the notorious spring break beach crowding in Miami last March. (Though I suppose it would be hard to know whether any transmission there was at the beach or from the partying afterwards.)

2 Likes

Some exams being taken this week in Oslo:

(This is a local soccer stadium; when set up for concerts, it holds 12,000 people. I think it was prepared to hold around 200 exam-takers.)

15 Likes

If I had to take exams, I’d like to take them barefoot on the grass.

18 Likes

He wasn’t wearing a mask then, and I haven’t seen him outside with one. However, he has one on for all his press conferences, and has recently required masks in indoor public places, though with no penalties for not masking.

3 Likes

More masks

The Oulu-based Kaleva reports that on Tuesday, Oulu University Hospital took delivery of 200,000 surgical masks for distribution to regional health units in the north of the country that were a gift to Finland from Taiwan.

The masks went to the stores of the hospital because Finland has an official policy of not accepting aid directly from foreign governments.

Meanwhile, Helsingin Sanomat reports the start of the industrial production of hospital-quality surgical masks in Finland.

The Helsinki-based company Lifa Air on Tuesday announced it had started up its first production line, initially churning out 100,000 masks a day. The company’s daily target is 650,000.

In an interview with the Finnish News Agency STT on Tuesday, Prime Minister Sanna Marin said that she hoped that domestic production of surgical masks can be brought up to a high enough level so that these masks will be available for use outside medical facilities, as well. According to Helsingin Sanomat, this now looks to be likely.

A number of other Finnish companies have announce plans to manufacture masks intended for private use. The S-Group retail market chain said Tuesday that it will start selling its own brand of single-use masks at the start of June.

Lifa Air also has plans to begin daily production of 220,000 FFP2-standard respirators.

BTW They are researching 6G in Oulu.

6 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

28 Likes
5 Likes