Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

I like the article’s photo of the 7 guys infecting each other in Lapland.

It is a cool resource.

(ETA: I see they’ve retracted the paper which gave us the famous “infected on a bus” example)

5 Likes

Sadly, I think we will have lots of covid-tear gas data in the next few weeks. Yeah, just can’t fucking wait…

22 Likes

We’re six months into the year.
Anyone not thinking humanity needs to get its collective shit together real soon hasn’t been paying enough attention.

21 Likes

She’s back on.

Sadly, Cummings is still not gone.

12 Likes

It feels like a decade into the year… :grimacing:

23 Likes

From https://www.thelocal.dk/20200601/ban-on-big-gatherings-saved-denmark-researchers (about this preprint on superspreaders):

The ban on large gatherings, rather than school or bar closures, may have played the key role in slowing the coronavirus pandemic in Denmark, two researchers in the country have claimed.
“The gain with the lockdown was probably not that big in itself,” Kim Sneppen, professor of biocomplexity at Copenhagen University, told The Local. “It was this gain indirectly by reducing situations where these people meet many other people. Avoiding large gatherings helps to keep the infection down.”

4 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

Wuhan tests nearly 9.9 million residents with no new cases found -CNN

Really??

7 Likes

Would you believe 5 million?

smart

15 Likes
7 Likes

Sometimes it feels like that to me as well, but other times it feels like March 10 was yesterday.

18 Likes

15 Likes
7 Likes

China had been periodically having new, allegedly minor, outbreaks, but (as far as I have seen) every single one was blamed on foreigners entering the country. (Not even on Chinese nationals entering the country!)

Considering the 14 day quarantine that everyone has to do upon entering China, I likewise have said “Really?”

13 Likes

Saddening statistic, that more Ghanaians have died of covid-19 in the U.K. than have died of it in the whole of Ghana

16 Likes

Or die with it, whichever. He doesn’t care as long as you get back to work. Hmmm, sounds familiar. Can’t quite… orange, I’m seeing orange. Nope, lost it.

16 Likes

21 Likes

Yet.

Not really surprising though, since the UK is such an amalgamation of people from all over the world. As someone posted here wayyy back in January,

3 Likes