Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

7 Likes
5 Likes

And buildings are being strategically used to obscure the true count!

Is data analysis really this hard to get right?

11 Likes
9 Likes

While Polish authorities handled the beginning of a crisis quite well, they decided to ease restrictions at the beginning of this month and now there’s a large spike in daily infection count (7-day average is highest since the beginning of pandemic):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/poland/

Allowing family celebrations of up to 150 people (such as wedding receptions, which may easily become super-spreader events) probably played a role in this. There will be large religious processions in the entire country tomorrow, and probably another spike 9 days later.

8 Likes

No real surprise there
 and another reason to vacation locally.

9 Likes

Can someone in Germany (eg @LutherBlisset) explain this to me:

The story says that Germany is opening its borders to all EU countries except Spain on June 15. Aren’t Sweden and the UK still in the EU? Why single out Spain?

Yeah, I’m expecting for a big spike in the US from the Memorial Day celebrations, though that could get lost on the general catastrophe that is the US at the moment.

Also, isn’t Poland opening their borders this week?

5 Likes

For 29 of the countries, the travel warning will be lifted on June 15, but later for Spain and Norway, because border closures imposed by the respective governments still apply there. Spain does not allow the first tourists to enter the country until June 21 - limited to a few holiday islands in the first eight days.

Source:

6 Likes

It is, for all Schengen Area citizens. European Commission advised opening borders before 15 June, so it is a bit weird that Germany is singling out Spain, especially since according to official data the pandemic there is nearly over.
edit: Thanks to @LutherBlisset for explaining this

2 Likes

OK, so a reciprocity thing. Thanks for the clarification. Funny that the Norwegian news doesn’t mention that it applies to Norway too, not just Spain.

3 Likes

Doug Ducey is a murderer. He is murdering people. If you give me some clever legal explanation of how that is not the case, all you have proven is that a broken legal system is allowing him to murder people.

11 Likes

Late night talk radio, too. My mother believes in chemtrails because of some “expert” she heard on Coast to Coast decades ago.
(edit - a word)

13 Likes

More on the murdering, by the murderer.

12 Likes

Oh great. I need to travel there in 10 days time.

9 Likes

How “need” is it?

Pretty much no one wearing masks here, “social distancing” is always a farce, and I’m in the “sensible” blue part of the state. Can’t imagine what Phoenix / Mordor County is like.

11 Likes

Pretty big need unfortunately. Tucson area.

12 Likes

Stay safe.

It’s really shitty for us. My parents are both high risk, and there’s no “socially distant” visiting with a 3-year-old, so we have really have to sequester ourselves. We used to shop for them, but now only Whole Foods and Costco (at least here in Tucson) have mask rules (and only Costco enforces then) so we can only do deliveries for most things.

I’m supposed to be shopping for preschools. There’s no way my kid is going to preschool in August. But I don’t think any number of dead is going to make Ducey back down now, so I’m sure schools won’t close.

16 Likes

At least I’ll get some nice photos of sunsets

9 Likes

I’m afraid that’s also a guarantee

8 Likes

Citizen’s initiative calling for mask law

Tired of conflicting messaging on mask usage from the government and health authorities in Finland, a grass roots group launched a citizen’s initiative last week calling for a law that makes the use of masks in public spaces obligatory.

According to tabloid Ilta-Sanomat, the Ministry of Justice approved the citizen’s initiative (in Finnish) on Wednesday. The initiative will proceed to parliament if it receives the necessary 50,000 supporters.

Prime Minister Sanni Marin’s government has so far not recommended the use of masks to combat the spread of coronavirus. Last month, a study commissioned by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health stated that widespread use of fabric masks have little or no effect on reducing the spread of upper respiratory infections.

The government’s science panel and a group of Finnish researchers have come to the opposite conclusions. Last week, the World Health Organization released updated guidelines recommending mask use in public places.

The citizen’s initiative launched by the activist group Maskit Kaikille (roughly ‘Masks for All’ in English) asks MPs to immediately prepare a law on the obligation to use masks in public indoor spaces, public transport and also in the outdoors in areas known to have widespread transmission of Covid-19.

“The obligation to wear masks should be implemented immediately throughout the country and should remain in force indefinitely, or until there is no longer a risk of the corona epidemic spreading, or a workable drug or vaccine (has) been invented,” the initiative declares.

Authors of the citizen’s initiative include Anna Korhonen and Linda Ahlblad from Helsinki and Mila Boström from Espoo. Juha-Matti Jussila and Eliisa Haavanlammi are also among the first signatories.

According to Boström, if passed by Parliament a mask law would help Finland prepare for a possible second wave of the coronavirus.

The citizens’ initiative includes both scientific and legal arguments, citing international instances of obligatory mask rules in countries like Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Greece and Spain, among others.

12 Likes