Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Doesn’t “comeback” imply that it left? As far as I can tell (from the excellent rt.live updates of transmission rates) Arizona’s rate never dropped below 1.

4 Likes

(^video autoplay warning)

This is actually great news. It shows the value of those masks and contact tracing.

17 Likes
7 Likes

The best and brightest. The future sick.

19 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Exactly! Was going to post that, but got distracted.

Here’s an otherwise informative thread that makes that mistake. It also says, “this is nobody’s fault”. This is Doug Ducey and Donald Trump’s fault. They are murderers.

And they don’t care because they don’t believe they will ever be held to account.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told CNBC on Thursday that shutting down the economy for a second time to combat the spread of Covid-19 isn’t a viable option and could cause even more headaches for Americans.

13 Likes

And how did they set up that photo?

“Okay, can we have our one black friend come to front of the shot and be nice and visible for the camera, please”

15 Likes

Eschaton

Thursday, June 11, 2020

It’ll Shut Down By Itself

It’s reasonable to debate any specific lockdown provision/timing, but if infection rates soars, no amount of demanding or clapping will keep things open.

“We can’t shut down the economy again. I think we’ve learned that if you shut down the economy, you’re going to create more damage,” Mnuchin said in an interview with CNBC’s Jim Cramer on “Squawk on the Street.”

I honestly prefer to believe they’re just evil, because it’s almost more frightening if they’re just this dumb.

Obviously My President is that dumb.

Atrios at 13:17

Every piece of available evidence and serious study says that not shutting down is worse for the economy than “keeping the economy open”. This is about killing minorities and disrupting the election. This is genocide.

19 Likes
14 Likes

you think that’s bad. you should see the length of the american citizenship disclaimers /s

8 Likes

This is going to create an interesting dilemma; am I vomiting because of junk food+thrill rides, or because of COVID-19?

10 Likes

Is data analysis really this hard to get right?

No, but there are competing interests trying to make sure we get it wrong.

9 Likes
4 Likes

I made some graphs:

The message from this graph seems clear: right now most new cases in the US currently are actually coming from states where covid 19 was never under control and daily cases continue to increase.

As the states doing well bottom out, you would expect a “second wave” from purely the loss of the compensatory effect. That’s before we consider the effects of lifting the lockdown.

18 Likes

Sweden had a bad day a few days ago (1500 cases in one day), though it was apparently attributable to new testing protocols.

That’s a nice visualization.

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods:
https://norwaytoday.info/news/its-the-end-of-empty-seats-for-the-airlines-no-face-masks-required/

Looking forward more and more to my flights next week. /s

9 Likes

PA has a different twist on this problem. Governor Wolf declared a shutdown, and GOP legislators have been pushing to reopen businesses. They’ve escalated the partisan attacks (aided by POTUS), voted in the legislature to overturn the governor’s order, and now this:

Cases in PA never met the guidelines for reopening, but the GOP (along with business owners and some citizens) don’t care. The number of cases has been increasing, and those groups want to proceed anyway. Polls showed the majority support the Governor’s actions, but once again pols are prioritizing profits over public health & safety:

7 Likes

And the protests. And the MAGA rallies. And the assholes. Sigh…

11 Likes

In Hancock’s half-hour, Dido Harding offers hollow laughs: Cake distracts test-and-trace boss at UK COVID-19 briefing

Cake or coronavirus?

8 Likes
10 Likes