Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Well, there is the reason, don’t you know. Can’t have inconvenient facts holding up that glorious reopening, now can we?

14 Likes

Great idea but, needs a little help in the aesthetic. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

that is a curious first graph.

why do the spikes minus nyc/nj exactly correspond to the spikes of nyc/nj. the yellow part mimics the black line.

oic. nvr mind. it’s the label, not the data. the line is not nyc/nj, it’s including nyc/nj. got it.

1 Like

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cdc-finally-releases-guidance-for-minimizing-covid-risk-in-everyday-life

But there are notable omissions.

And of course the guidelines don’t matter if I do them, but you don’t. There is no leadership, and I continue to believe that this is by intent.

8 Likes

8 Likes

For those who don’t know, the “Hancock’s half-hour” reference is to Matt Hancock, the UK health secretary, and also to the 1950s BBC radio comedy Hancock’s Half Hour, featuring the late British comic Tony Hancock.

10 Likes

OK, with all the caveats necessary for early release, preprint, non-peer reviewed and etc papers, this report (on a number of studies) is not good news for the ease of developing a vaccine nor for developing herd immunity lacking a vaccine. Actually, nor for the use of the testing we currently have. There is basically no good news in here. Which kinda sucks, since it seems the public does not have bandwidth to pay attention to this stuff anymore. Sigh.

ETA: Like most Ars Technica articles, the comments are actually worth reading. It is a pretty damn educated bunch of commentators.

15 Likes

Corn Teen is OVER! No more BOOOORING corn teen! Reopening Fever Yeah!

8 Likes
9 Likes

Maybe we need a wall?

Fine them and deport.

17 Likes

Canadians need to lobby for the right to arm bears.

9 Likes

I believe someone in your Green Party suggested that you offer us asylum; that would be alright too. Please, thanks, and sorry in advance.

8 Likes

How to write a headline:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/no-second-wave-covid-19-kudlow-wrong

“I’m not the health expert but on the so-called spike, I spoke to our health experts at some length last evening,” Kudlow told the co-hosts of “Fox and Friends.” “They’re saying there is no second spike. Let me repeat that: There is no second spike.”

Health experts do agree that “second-wave” is the wrong way to describe what is happening currently with the pandemic’s spread in the U.S. As health reporter and doctor James Hamblin and others have described it, there continues to be one “long wave” of COVID-19 spread.

16 Likes

“They’re saying there is no second spike. Let me repeat that: There is no second spike.”

Because there can’t be a second one if the first never ends.

27 Likes
16 Likes

Looks like the White House is divided on whether to blame the inevitable next round of coronavirus infections on the protests or on the Mexicans.

19 Likes

A nurse in a small town where I live got infected from her husband (who got infected from Border Guard officers), and came to work even when she had high fever. Now the whole hospital is closed, 40 people are quarantined and nobody knows how many were infected on thursday religious procession where most people (including priests) were not wearing masks and not obeying social distancing orders.

12 Likes

Those were the days my friend
We thought they’d never end
We’d quarantine forever and a day
We’d social isolate
And decontaminate
But congregate on every holiday.

18 Likes

My local newspaper is sacking half its reporters.

The reason the publisher has given for their cash flow problems is that coronavirus has killed their advertising revenue.

6 Likes

Scientist who was sacked for not covering up the scale of the pandemic has produced their own virus tracker, using publicly available data:

More idiocy from Westminster revealed:

New cases in Beijing cause another large lockdown there:

18 Likes