Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Hooray for data guerillas! I expect that the Florida officials will be complete pricks about this, trying to block the information she’s accessing, and even trying to figure out some kind of trumped-up criminal charge (with the 1980s “protected computer” multiplier).

15 Likes

Dear Governor Ducey,

Steve Kozachik writing, Tucson City Council, representing Ward 6. With what is a snowball’s chance of this being acted on favorably, I hesitated even investing the time to write. And yet I owe it to my constituents to reach out and make the effort.

8 Likes

I’ll start by saying, “Coming from Joe Biden…”

8 Likes

she’s got a gofundme going now.

15 Likes

He can access enough rapid response tests for every fucking guest at his fundraiser. I cannot test sick kids. God damned fucking stupid ass timeline. I need a beer.

25 Likes
30 Likes

AIDS is simple (by comparison). Sweet FSM help us all.

21 Likes
16 Likes
7 Likes

Better keep the infection rates down! Last week it was announced that Norwegians could travel (and return) to Götaland in Sweden because it met the infection rate requirements. However, thanks to a choir concert on May 24, 50% of one of the island’s population (!) now has coronavirus symptoms (11 out of 15 tested were positive):

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/P97Op5/soendag-var-det-allsang-i-misjonshuset-saa-ble-folk-syke-korfesten-i-goeteborg-har-oedelagt-feriedroemmen-for-mange-nordmenn?

4 Likes

I’ve run out of tears’: Arizona man has lost 5 family members to COVID-19, calls for Gov. Ducey to take action

“I’m calling him out,” Aguirre said. “How many more people got to die before he does something about it? How many more people have to be in hospitals?”

I’m afraid I know the answer.

19 Likes
18 Likes

The NYT still sends me emails. Here’s a winning line from the latest:

Brazil now has the world’s second-highest toll after the U.S., with at least 42,720 deaths from the virus. Experts say its president’s embrace of unproven remedies is partly to blame.

For your bingo cards:

• “Experts say”
  • Distracting from the point (“unproven remedies” are the least of Bolsonaro’s crimes)
  • “Unproven” remedies, god help me
  • Passing on official lies without comment (“42,720 deaths” — Bolsonaro is directly preventing any count of infections or deaths, making the only claim in this sentence questionable)

Not Trumpvirus-related, but more boxes for your bingo cards later in the same email:

But some fans are furious at Darrell Wallace Jr., above, the sole African-American driver in the group’s top racing series, who fought for the ban in the wake of the killing of George Floyd. They view the Confederate flag as part of their Southern heritage — not a symbol of racism — and an integral part of the sport.

JFC.

16 Likes

Genuinely wonderful news to wake up to; thanks!

9 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve had a look at this, but here goes. Going on the “U.S. is three weeks behind Italy” hypothesis, which was a good match near the start of the pandemic. (Italy values x5.5 as a population adjustment)
USvsItalyCaseRate_20200614 USvsItalyDeathRate_20200614

It seems that early- to mid-May the U.S. broke the case rate pattern definitively, the wrong way. As has been pointed out very nicely by @Fang previously there’s a finer-grained pattern at work.

I had a look at the case identification to death ratio, using an 18-day lag on the case identification rate (based on a Chinese study, id to death time), but I can think of too many confounding variables (e.g. Canada is mostly old age homes, treatment availability, regional response, test rates, low total death rate data etc.) for that to be meaningful. The U.S. rate of around 5% deaths per case matches Canada today. If that holds we should see that 1000 deaths per day U.S. rate hold for a while yet. :frowning_face:

8 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, a new low for the answer to “why are we eliminating journalism?”

7 Likes

Ohio is finally testing! Everybody can get tested for free, and the state has listings of where on their coronavirus page. There’s lots of community health centers in both rural and metro areas that are testing.
Ohio’s official corona virus website

eta: because we can’t get real metrics unless we have real data.

19 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ve misunderstood the original post or yours, but the Tulsa venue has canceled all other events, not Trump’s. His is still on because… reasons?

Sorry if that’s bad news to go to sleep to :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes

Yeah; upon closer reading it has only been postponed by a day. So far.

11 Likes