Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

From BBC News- here’s a story by a Kenyan journalist that shows how the virus is combining with poverty, police brutality and overstretched medical services to deadly effect

Oh, and for background, this is the virus situation in Kenya right now:

The country has been lucky up until now, but cases are now rising in that very familiar pattern.

8 Likes

This is real. Take it seriously and think about your actions before you go out shopping/to restaurants/parties, etc., before you are the one who unknowingly transmits this virus to your mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/brother/sister. The majority of our patients aren’t over the age of 65. We have had patients in their 40s. Pregnant patients. Family members dying side by side. These patients aren’t old and don’t have extremely long lists of comorbid conditions. Rant over. Be safe.

Ben Gerkin is an intensive care nurse at a Tucson hospital.

21 Likes

Not Trumpvirus-related, but as to the rally itself:

Eschaton

Monday, June 15, 2020

Yes That Was The Plan

Kasie Hunt :heavy_check_mark: @kasie

.@JonLemire reports on @Morning_Joe that campaign officials were quite aware their rally was scheduled for Juneteenth. They just underestimated the blowback

4:08 AM - Jun 15, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,113 people are talking about this

In the middle of All This they were deliberately planning to hold a White Power rally on the site of a “just learned about by Stephen Miller because he watches superhero shows” massacre of African-Americans on the anniversary of Juneteenth.

Still, the question remains, are they racists? Impossible to see into their hearts.

Atrios at 08:12

And I suppose impossible because of “journalistic ethics” to point out that he’s just taking a page from the Reagan playbook

17 Likes

Ohhhh

18 Likes

I hear you.
I imagine you are not alone, as every doctor with functioning eyes and ears, and the willingness to employ logic, is likewise lamenting the same and waving fists at the uncaring gods right now.

I realize this is unlikely to be within the allowable scope of your practice and your own doctor-patient relationship, but in case you are willing to answer this question, I ask:

What would it look like if you said exactly this–the words I pull-quoted from you (above)–to every parent and guardian of every patient who comes through your exam room door? [with the expletives deleted?]

Again, I get it that this might be against the rules.

These times suck. Agreed. And not to be overly coarse about things… but…

Every crisis is an opportunity.

Your patients are not old enough to vote. Their caregivers are, and I certainly encourage you to put a big stack of voter registration-by-mail cards on your front desk, for those who are eligible but not registered. (Here in Texas I usually pick my stacks up at the public library, but those have been closed for a while.)

For Virginians:

Just a thought.

It’s not like y’all’re telling people who to vote for. Should be allowable? the just-offering-voter-reg-forms part, right? With any luck, assuming they aren’t completely brainwashed by the lying liars on Cult45’s complicit "not news oh no no no we are ‘entertainment’ " shows and manipulated social media, they oughta be able to do the math.

We need everyone to vote.
Assuming we still have the dang capacity to vote in November, and it hasn’t be magically taken away from us because [insert fascist excuse here].

I can only imagine every cynical manipulative complicit jackass looking at the travesty in Georgia…

… and chuckling, rubbing hands together, taking notes and vowing to make it happen nationwide.

I wish you and yours every bit of good luck helping turn Virginia solidly, indisputably blue.

Even Spike Lee said it, here:

You strongly supported Bernie Sanders in 2016 and 2020: are you going to vote for Joe Biden?

[Spike Lee:] Yes.

ETA: clarified that I didn’t expect you to curse in front of kids, patients, etc.
ETA2: grammar :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Shit man my bingo card needs extra spaces with each passing day. I’ve got stacked tokens on “experts agree” and “some people say” as well as:

• the president’s unsubstantiated claim
  • the president’s false statement
  • the president misspoke
  • the president’s inaccurate statement
    … ad nauseum ad absurdum ad infinitum

And I’ve got multiple cards in play: impeachment bingo, quarantine bingo, environmental devastation + climate change bingo, fascist takeover bingo, bad reporting bingo, racism bingo, “the [petty petty pathological] cruelty is the point” bingo, and more.

At this point I should probably just put 'em all away, and do “gratitude I am alive” bingo and “at least my life savings isn’t at zero” bingo.

ETA: fkn grammar

11 Likes

I cannot imagine a hell gruesome enough to be just.

He (Governor Ducey) said Arizonans would have to learn to live with the virus.

10 Likes

I know, anecdotal, but still: Mask up, people!

11 Likes

I’m glad they didn’t infect their customers but I am worried employers would look at this and say you don’t need sick leave if you have symptoms, just wear a mask.

I’d hope that employers would see the sense in giving employees paid sick leave before the cold and flu season starts because this coming fall and winter is going to be hellascary as it is.

16 Likes

I hope someone encouraged him to lead by example. Anyone within earshot of a statement like that shouldn’t resist saying, “You first!”

11 Likes

Ack! On top of everything else, this year squirrels will get to mock me as I run around trying to gather and store enough food to last until next spring. :chipmunk: :chestnut:

14 Likes

Seeing as I live in “Trump is God” country, I suspect it would not get me far. I am far more subtle in my professional life than I usually am here, and I do try to plant seeds when the opportunity arises, but overall, folks who would vote in their child’s best interest are already on our side.

19 Likes

Roger that! I was eyeing all the apple trees, blackberry bushes, and pear trees on public land along my running route today…

8 Likes

Maybe if sportsball players just got tested every third day.

11 Likes

“They just don’t get it!” Mindy Benson, the county emergency management coordinator, later wrote to the group. “They will keep going until all of their employees have this virus. They would rather risk their employees’ health and keep their production going.” (National Beef did not return calls and emails seeking comment.)

Narrator: They get it.

18 Likes

On a lighter note:

Lockdown business opportunity:

Trampoline helmets.

Courtesy of Terrible Real Estate Photographs

15 Likes

The language is a bit unclear, TBH, and editing the mail exchanges (i.e. not putting them there in full length but snippets) isn’t helpful, but this looks shitty.

ETA, to clarify: RW is banging a drum here, but the sensationalism on that page is starting to get on my nerves. The author quote they include does say they want to work on that paper due to the critique, not they want to retract it. A withdrawal is not the same as a retraction.

3 Likes

Any article that can be properly refereed in 3 days is probably not worth the paper it is printed on. (Confession/humble bragging: I did once have a paper accepted this quickly. Doesn’t change my opinion.)

OTOH, the guy with no connection to the paper who contacted the journal and is now tweeting his concern trllng is a passive-aggressive busybody. Speaking as an editor, if there were concerns with a paper we’d published we would try to work with the authors to find a way to salvage the article, a process that can take more time than the original review/publication process.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Seeing what is generally at stake in this pandemic, with media being all over the place, I’m inclined to give that guy a pass. However, I’ve got an uneasy feeling about the reporting here.

(Can’t check on the implications of said paper right now. However, the process? Stinks. As you said: probably not worth the paper it would be printed on. )

3 Likes