Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

NPR talked about this this morning. Surprisingly opaque.

14 Likes

Third dose in the First world problems. How are we doing on getting that First dose into the Third world?

At some point, we’ll have enough people protected or infected that community spread drops to the point that it’s manageable with real contact tracing. (I’m being optimistic. The Kill Grandma faction will keep trying to grab the wheel and steer us off a cliff.)

At that point, the smart move would be to partition the world into safe and unsafe zones, mobilize international resources to vaccinate the unsafe zones into safe zones, and push towards eradication. (Some mink farms may be harmed in the process.)

The unsmart move would be to keep popping booster shots every six months, while the rest of the world goes to hell and keeps throwing new variants at us. (A great benefit to vaccine companies and their investors.)

11 Likes

Dr. Hinshaw, CMO of Alberta was riding high on public trust until she flipped to approval of Alberta’s Florida North policies.

15 Likes

Wow, the IOC must have the diet by the testicles.

14 Likes

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Ralph Gonsalves, the prime minister of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, was hospitalized after a demonstrator threw a rock at his head during an anti-vaccine protest led by nurses and other workers in the eastern Caribbean island, officials said late Thursday.

Gonsalves was bleeding profusely but is expected to recover, according to a statement from his office.

10 Likes

That’s right, Florida is revolting!

Florida is also reporting the highest numbers of new cases in children than any other state, with a total of 135 children under 18 currently in the hospital. An analysis by the Miami Herald determined that, while cases are spiking in every age group in the state, the steepest increase is seen in those ages 12 and under, who are not eligible for vaccination.

Also, holy shit, for real??

However, on Thursday, state education leaders hinted at a softening stance against mask requirements. Rather than trying to overturn district mask mandates, the state board of education proposed offering vouchers for students to dodge mask mandates by letting them transfer to other public or private schools that don’t require them, according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

:man_facepalming:

23 Likes

Kids ask adults to stop killing them (again in the US)

21 Likes

As you said: Florida is revolting.

(in more than one way)

8 Likes

This is the same old conservative/supremacist tactic with a new twist. Whatever they don’t like in a school - other people’s kids, religious practices, textbooks/courses, etc. - they demand the ability to move their kids to another. The worst is the system they put in place to get taxpayers to fund putting their kids into private schools. With the unwashed, unvaxxed, and maskless children forming clusters, those schools will probably be nicknamed Outbreak Academies.

16 Likes
17 Likes

I am in Virginia. The legacy of the “Massive Resistance” movement that arose out of school desegregation in the 50’s haunts us here to this day. The statue of Harry F Byrd Sr just finally came down this past week or so. Yeah, always the same playbook. Always.

17 Likes

that’s pretty cool. the kids are alright.

i guess now we just have to make wearing masks as cool as smoking, so that kids will get dropped off, go behind the school to put their mask on, and shove it back in their bag before their parents can see when they head home.

rebellion!

hmmm… of course smoking kills, and masks save lives… so selling the cool might take some work. :thinking:

10 Likes

Not unless they’re thrown into a private or charter school

8 Likes

23 Likes

Today’s secret word is…

“Personally I haven’t had this situation, but if I did, I would sneak horse paste into the hospital and would rub it into the armpit myself to save my loved one,” a member of an ivermectin Facebook group advised another.

(All joking aside I was wondering why I saw about a week ago a sign at Runnings warning people to not take horse medicine and now I have my answer.)

Edit: This was taken at Tractor Supply Company

21 Likes

Good on you!

36 Likes

“Timmy, where’s your ventilator? Can’t bother to respond? Fine, then - report to intubation immediately!”

9 Likes

it’s baffling right? they’re going to take public money, move it to private schools, and spend it on school uniforms. which they will be required to wear.

but our freedoms

16 Likes
6 Likes

Leading by example, as usual.

14 Likes