Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Continuing the discussion from Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2) - #5085 by vermes82.

Previous discussions:

2 Likes

That fact that we need 3 parts for this thread…

Sad Talk To Me GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

39 Likes

This’ll be the last one I hope.

23 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

24 Likes

Did you see that NYT article near the end of the last thread about the virus becoming like the 'flu…in 5 years? :weary:

ETA: the link

16 Likes

Sweet thought. Not likely.

18 Likes

From the link:

The infuriating thing is that measles was on its way to being eradicated before the antivaxxers started spreading their bullshit.

34 Likes

We sought out Pfizer because it was the first and most proven, no reports of “COVID arm”, and the 3 week wait time for the second dose was more palatable than 4 weeks. These seemed like reasonable reasons - although we would ultimately gone with whatever we could get. Fortunately there’s no lack of supply of the different brands around here. While completely irrational, the fact that Pfizer was developed out of the purview of Operation Warp Speed also has a bit of “fuck Trump” energy behind it and that makes me happy.

I can appreciate the ironic humor behind the “vaccine brand superiority” jokes. We need all the levity we can get in these dark times.

17 Likes

Is that assuming that we get to herd immunity, or that anti-vaxxers fuck everything up for the rest of us and make it so we can never truly eradicate the disease?

10 Likes

of course you can, you got the good one

18 Likes

mel brooks horror GIF

15 Likes

Eh, I just got the first one I could, which was Moderna. I’m fine with the jokes too; it may not be “high-class”, but neither am I, so :woman_shrugging: It is the one Dolly Parton helped fund, so if I start singing country tunes, we’ll know why… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

31 Likes

This is all we $%**& need.

17 Likes

Don’t hate us because we’re cool.

12 Likes
9 Likes

The chip, only visible under a microscope, can be implanted with a hypodermic needle

We all know how this ends.

18 Likes

Or maybe…

The Wave Dancing GIF

Wait… what if the cybermen are just future borg?

18 Likes

Unfortunately, I think it’s the latter. So many diseases will probably never be eradicated now. There are too many ignorant and/or evil folks in power to get the majority to pull together for the greater good. This pandemic has provided a fresh reminder of how many deniers, do-nothings, and know-nothings exist in the world. Maybe the next time around we’ll be better prepared to counter their efforts to drag everyone else down with them.

20 Likes

The thing that caught my eye was that the quote from Bartell said “I’m hopeful…”, but the NYT tweet turned that into “Epidemiologists expect…” I can’t read the actual article at the moment*, but unless the Bartell quote was a bad choice to illustrate the NYT’s statement, “hopeful” and “expect” became synonyms when I wasn’t looking.

*Paywalls. Bleh.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, doses get unused in the US because of vaccine denialists. (There is a ‘freedom’ rally going on today 2 miles from me, with Dennis Fucking Prager telling people not to get vaxxed or wear masks.)

17 Likes