Cooking (not just dinner)

I get mistaken for chopped liver all the time.

3 Likes

I managed to refrain from eating it long enough to take a picture this time. :laughing: Came out better this time too. :rabbit2:

9 Likes

My friends gave me this recipe for deep dish pizza, but we played around with it (twice as much sauce, less cheese) to get the right proportions. It was pretty good:

Definitely deserving of inclusion under the banner of pizza. (We also had four Italian style pizzas, but these two turned out a bit better).

I wouldn’t be too critical of cheese though:one slice of Italian pizza almost fell onto the floor as we were transferring the sliced pizza onto a platter, but it was saved by the power of cheeses.

11 Likes

you cooked a stew wrapped in dough. can it be delicious? sure. is it pizza? nope!

5 Likes

What is Chicago deep dish pizza?

• A pie
  • A stew wrapped in dough
  • A large, open empanada
  • A single-layered lasagne in a pie base
  • A pizza
  • Wrong

0 voters

5 Likes

Those look great! I rarely get any of my dough looking that tidy, but then I just call it rustic :smiley: seriously, as a pizza nerd, I am impressed.

4 Likes

The heart one (based on what the innards looked like in the first photo) would be my choice for the perfect mix of dough, sauce, and cheese
bravo!!

4 Likes

really late to reply on this but Chicago style pizza is delicious
the first time i had it i was like “oh THIS is why some people call pizza a pie”. While I do love it, I also like you consider it to be a different food from pizza. it is pizza pie. @jsroberts I see you started a poll about this! :thumbsup:

pretty good? it looks fantastic!!

6 Likes

One of the benefits of having so many guests in our house: yesterday’s dinner was Ghanaian food (chicken with onion, peppers, garlic and ginger), and tonight we’re having Korean food!

ETA: The recipe was a little like this, although the chicken was cooked together with the sauce.

9 Likes

Oh, water in my mouth
 Enjoy!

4 Likes

looks delicious already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edit: any idea? Apart, or not, from the bit whine on the right. :wink:
Edit 2: it won’t gelĂ©e. AI

Cooking a bit more.

OK, dandeloin yelly.

6 Likes

Here’s what I’m up to today (culinary wise).

I still have two bags of stock from my last batch but I’m trying to make a smaller batch than usual. I generally do two chicken carcasses and end up with a ridiculous number of bags of stock. Not only is it a real pain to filter and bag but then I have much of my freezer taken up with bags of stock. :laughing:

For anyone who doesn’t make their own stock, this is immediately after the boil started so at this point it’s basically chicken water with some vegetables, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. That’s why it’s mostly water looking. It’ll start looking more like the stock you’re used to seeing in a few hours. If you’re not a vegetarian, have a freezer, and physically can make stock, you really should give it a try.

It’s not hard and it saves a lot of money.

6 Likes

And if you are a vegetarian with a freezer and the physical ability to do the work, it’s the same process except no chicken.

5 Likes

Very true. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For a couple years, I would regularly make veg stock, and I kept a set of ice cube trays for freezing purposes. I had started out using big yogurt containers, but found that the ice cube trays made the process a lot easier. Plus I could use really small amounts of stock if I needed to, instead of one big block at a time.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of doing that. Something’s wrong with the freezer in the place I rent, though. Nothing that goes into an ice cube tray comes back out without either melting the whole thing or extreme effort involving dangerous activities with butter knives. :sweat:

One day, though.

3 Likes

Not at well filtered as I like but overall a success. But hey. Seven bags instead of fourteen and not as pale as last time.

5 Likes

Care package from my little brother:

Yep, he bought a cookbook exclusively with recipes for marshmallows. He sent us triple chocolate marshmallows, whiskey fudge and vanilla marshmallows.

15 Likes

does he do kitchen experiments like this one often? I’m willing to act as food taster - for the good of mankind!

6 Likes