Cooking (not just dinner)

I make a “risotto” (I call it my cheater risotto because I only stir a few times and then cover the pan and let it finish itself…heretical!) with veggie stock, potatoes and leeks. Normally I finish it with parmesan, but you’ve just reminded me that I could sub in nutritional yeast instead for my apparently-not-giving-in vegan daughter. Thanks!

11 Likes

Potato risotto, that is an exciting thought. My mind is already racing. Infuse a veg stock with just the skins of a bunch of russets (basically potato water, like you use in mashies), and small cubed Russian fingerlings in the rice. Butter would be an obvious choice to finish it off, but coconut oil could work just as well to keep it vegan.

And leeks are a stellar addition since you get the flavor of onions but not so much bad breath.

5 Likes

It’s a very French style of risotto: like a rice version of Vichyssoise. I use some wine (actually, an Asian cooking wine, because it has more flavor per ounce) but mostly veggie broth. The leek and potatoes are sauteed in olive oil at the beginning, FWIW, and grated parmesan added at the very end. Simple, comforting, vegetarian. I just need to tweak that cheese part, for now at least.

10 Likes

I didn’t mention it but I made this one as vegan, for my wife, with the cheese on the side for my son and I to stir in to our servings while it’s still hot. That worked quite well. Generally I try not to worry too much about getting a big protein source in every meal; most grains have a fair bit of protein (though not necessarily balanced) and most Americans get far more protein than they need.

4 Likes

Absolutely. No doubt about that. I was just trying to figure out how to make it approximate what I know she used to like, which would include that salty cheesy aspect.

Green peas are a natural addition to risotto, and this last kid at home really likes them, so there’s that too.

6 Likes

…Oh god, how did I forget to make dilly beans this year!?

1 Like

Making kimchi – this is three days in and the flavours are coming together nicely. Next time I might make it with cubed radishes.

7 Likes

Lookit the tiny squash I bought!

I’d never heard of honeynut squash before. I’m thinking of cutting it in half and oven-roasting it. Unless one of y’all has a better idea.

11 Likes

Distracting us from the homework that lies beneath it is not an effective strategy.

7 Likes

I’m procrasti-bbs-ing!

10 Likes

Cube, roast up with some herbs, mix in some feta and bacon crumbs, dress with a yogurt dressing and a few toasted almonds?

And the answer to your homework is “7”.

7 Likes

NICE TRY.

5 Likes

Cool. I’ve got smarter… My usual grade was “SEE ME”.

7 Likes

Is Honeynut a variety of butternut squash? It looks like it. If so they are fantastic roasted or made into soup. Enjoy![quote=“jsroberts, post:1077, topic:65998”]
Making kimchi
[/quote]

The exposure/color of the photo make that look more like a bowl of raw chicken bits then cabbage! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: yum! hee hee

4 Likes

Caught a few bluefish on Saturday, brined and smoked them after skinning and removing the brownline. Seriously good stuff. I like on a bagel with cream cheese and fresh pepper, my wife prefers on a lunch salad like you’d put tuna.

13 Likes

Holy buckets, that looks delicious. I love bluefish.

5 Likes

You’re in the minority, since most people never get fresh, properly cared for blues. They should be bled and iced ASAP, they’re oily and can’t sit around like some fish or they taste like crap. It’s amazing no one has set up a commercial smokehouse for blues, you can buy them retail at $3/lb, I’m sure a sweet deal could be made with a party boat.

There used to be a smokehouse, a shack really, just off the end of the Long Island Expressway in Riverhead. They smoked all the local species, blues, eels, blackfish, even tuna and black marlin. It was amazing! There’s an outlet mall there now.

6 Likes

Watering mouth over here. Looking good.

1 Like

Left, my birthday cake last year. Right, my birthday cake this year. (A few weeks ago now, it takes me awhile to get my act together with photos and whatnot.

One year I may let someone else make my cake.

17 Likes

Yep! $3-4/lb at the Italian market in south Philly. And they know how to treat 'em right.

And smoked, lox-style bluefish sounds lovely.

1 Like