Cool $200 analog Moog synthesizer kit

Nobody does analog like Moog! The multiple-Werkstatt performance by Nosaj Thing in this video is a pretty amazing thing: https://youtu.be/IA0fkUA0fQg

1 Like

Arturia Microbrute, hands-down. Best sub $300 analog synth you can get. I was super skeptical, but I tried it, and had to have one. It technically only has one oscillator but does weird waveshaping ā€˜tricksā€™ to make it sound pretty phat. It is only monophonic, but has a pretty clever sequencer and cool CV patching options. I have lots of more expensive gear, but still end up using it all the time. Canā€™t recommend it highly enough.

1 Like

What ā€œthey areā€ can be practically anything though. What is a curry? Or a sandwich? The way I value such things is that they are what they do. It might still not be the most frugal instrument, but synths currently embody more functionality for less cost than they ever have.

IMO keyboards have done more than anything else has to derail synthesizers, I say ā€œgood riddanceā€ to them. MIDI suffers from similar use and implementation problems. Music is a temporal medium, and that most synths lack the capacity to programmatically structure musical events in time is a serious fundamental oversight.

I agree with you though that PAiA is worth checking out. The Fatman is neither flexible nor sonorous IMO (I have one), but their ā€œFrac Rackā€ series of modules are quite cheap and capable.

There have been a whole crop of CV converters lately at quite reasonable prices which solve this problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.