Moog brings back its famed 1973 modular synthesizers

[Permalink]

4 Likes

I wonder how much my liver would go for in the black market today.

4 Likes

I wanted one so bad when I was a kid.

Yea, I was a geek.

1 Like

Sheesh, I still want one.

Yeah, you can digitally emulate all of this… but… blech.

#SHOW ME THE PATCH CORDS, JERRY!

Some day, if I save my pennies (and convince the wife that the kids would be better off without college), I want one of these:

Meet TONTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec8BGEb7_iA

Hey the Model 15 is a mere $10,000, and will pay for itself in some way! Also, how many great people of history actually went to college? None of them, I swear!

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I like the whole retro tech thing…But as a practical matter, my understanding is that “duophonic keyboard” means that after $35k you still can’t play three finger chords on it…This is a great illustration of how far we’ve gone.

1 Like

Two be frank, you only get two notes, but they are really fucking great.

4 Likes

Got this in my email yesterday. Cool news! I used two of the original Model 15’s (plus a Buchla, PDP 11, & D to A converter) in a class on electronic music back in 1976, taught by composer Larry Austin (http://cemi.music.unt.edu/larry_austin/). I still have the (well, rather awful) piece I put together as a final project, converted from 1/2" tape to 1/4" tape to mp3.

Now I have a copy of Arturia’s virtual Moog Modular to fiddle around with, which only cost a couple of hundred bucks.

It’s interesting to see history repeat itself! If only Bob Moog was still alive to see it.

2 Likes

Does it still drift out of tune? I’m not paying that kind of money if it isn’t going to drift out of tune like the original.

3 Likes

I played a Model 15 at the New England Synthesizer Museum years ago, it was kewl but In wouldn’t buy one. It just didn’t suit my style,

Also, Tonto - while largely Moog - was named after the Serge NTO, or New Timbral Oscillator.

We had one of those, almost unused, at Mass Art in 1984. Almost unused. A couple of successful producers spent some serious time in the lab. Tim and Wally, I’m looking at you.

1 Like

Old equipment seems to be a solid investment. 35,000 might seem like a lot but it is limited addition so I don’t imagined it would ever go down in value.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.