Cool sound from dropping a chunk of ice down a borehole

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/10/cool-sound-from-dropping-a-chunk-of-ice-down-a-borehole.html

5 Likes

about 91 meters.

11 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

wow !! how does that turn into a bullet 200 ft down into the tunnel !! the sound is almost like a sniper blowing a headshot in counterstrike

2 Likes

@AndreaJames on a bit of an Antarctica theme today?

1 Like

What’s really weird is the heartbeat-esque thuds that come after.

4 Likes

I mentioned elsewhere that my stroll through the Internet each day is a random walk looking for wonderful things that are not time sensitive. My posts get held for use as needed. If you saw my posts in the order submitted you would see even more patterns.

5 Likes

And you know that there’s the guy who drilled the hole asking why idiots are now throwing ice back into it!

2 Likes

Christ, what an icehole.

8 Likes

Nightmare fuel : Imagine being dropped down that hole…head first.

1 Like

Ha! Like a forensic web scroll. Hmmm . . .

CSI: Silicon Valley. Follow the main characters as they reconstruct someone’s webscrolling to solve a crime.

1 Like

Partially déjà vu:

2 Likes

Well they already got the ice core they were after, so I doubt they care.

1 Like

An explanation of why it makes such a great “pew” sound at the end. The cylindrical bore hole acts as a waveguide, in which acoustic waves travel. Waveguides reduce loss of energy in transmission, but the speed of the traveling waves in a waveguide (the group velocity) varies with frequency, with higher frequencies traveling faster. This phenomenon is known as dispersion. When the ice chunk hits the bottom, it produces sound over a broad range of frequencies; we hear the high frequencies first because they travel faster, and that makes the distinctive pew sound.

You can also hear an example of dispersion if you do a Google video search for “stones skipped across an icy pond”. In this case, the sound is traveling via bending of the ice sheet, which is also dispersive, and makes a similar pew pew sound.

17 Likes

Even more weird if listened with phones on. Not sure about the cause but it might be the air contained in the pipe that resonates by compressing and expanding back and forth creating standing waves.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Tekili-li!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.