Cool video demonstration of change blindness

But at lseat you cloud udnresnatd waht he was snayig as lnog as the frsit and lsat lerttes wehre crorcet and the vwoels were in the rghit odrer. Give your bairn cedrit for taht mcuh.

3 Likes

The gray is very disruptive but the ‘look at the center’ thing is sort of interesting. At first your peripheral vision has no hope of seeing the change. Then your peripheral vision is able to register it if you keep looking center but know where to ‘think.’

With the money example your vision isn’t even peripheral. You are looking right at it if you are looking center.

1 Like

…except by that point, you’re already primed to be “thinking” toward the edges of the images, taking your attention off the center where the change is happening. This whole video feels a bit like a magic trick based on misdirection.

4 Likes

You don’t have to intently focus on the center. It’s possible to keep eyes looking forward while taking in everything in front and on the periphery. It’s part of zazen practice, actually . Keeps the mind and perception open & encourages mindfulness.

Also, tried it. didn’t see the changes, though I’m out of practice.

1 Like

You do have to intentionally focus there, if you do what he is asking.

I am sure that if I were to practice zazen as you seem to have, instead of focusing on the center of the image, as directed, I might get the same results as you have. Maybe you should make that video?

But I think you and I did different things with this one. I did what the video said and stuck to that and sure enough, I did not see what I was directed to look away from!

Feel free to argue this out however you like. i’ve said my entire peace, twice now.

1 Like

Holy cow, I had to replay the money one to make sure they weren’t lying.

Also, all the discussion above is about how you’re told to look at the centre thus making it about peripheral vision, etc. while the third and final example has you looking directly at where the change is happening. No comments on that? I was astounded.

2 Likes

I watched it in my phone. I widened my vision, I still didn’t see the changes, as I mentioned.

1 Like

Ah, right! I forgot you said you didn’t see them.

Mod note: stop. Just stop.

8 Likes

Maybe they did, probably sleeping I hope :wink:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The grey screen was very discombobulating, like a weird mental palette cleanser. I thought of documentary footage of animators who will rapidly and repeatedly lift and lower a drawing on top of another one to see how their extremely subtly frame-by-frame changes are flowing. watching those videos you can always see the change easily. Also, for quick and dirty comparison of code in two version of a document, I often will line up two documents and switch between tabs to quickly spot where the changes are, if any…

2 Likes

Thank you!

It would be interesting to watch someone do this experiment and see whether they really do keep looking straight at the centre of the image, or whether their eyes make very quick hops to where they’ve been told things are changing.

Foveal vision covers only 1.5-2°of your visual field, according to Wikipedia. If you’re staring at the centre of the image, you’re looking at President Jackson’s mouth, not what’s behind him.

1 Like

Chne, chne, chne, chne, chnegas

3 Likes

As an old arcade gamer, I’ve always called that “defocusing”. Staring too intently at your little onscreen character leads to them becoming a dead onscreen character, especially with “busy” games like Robotron 2084. Better to relax your vision and take in the entire scene. Like everything else, it gets easier with practice.

7 Likes

Yep, same thing. With practice it gets easier and you can get pretty good at noticing things on the periphery of your vision. I’ve used it for work, playing games, solving puzzles, all sorts of things.

4 Likes

*wree

Sorry. I had to.

1 Like

Huh. My post was taken as by-catch. Whatevs. Wasn’t all that interesting and can’t be fucked typing it out again.

What change? All I saw were 20s, nary a quarter nor a lousy dime in sight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.