Cop investigating burglary stun guns his K9 after dog bites cow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/cop-investigating-burglary-use.html

21 Likes

This bites a bovine sized hole in the claims of well trained and always responsive to command K9 stories we’re frequently fed. I’m stunned.

7 Likes

I want to write some sort of scathing post about how if it hadn’t been the police officer’s dog, he would have shot it rather than tazed it, but I don’t have enough gumption left to make it really hit home.

4 Likes

I actually know how to prevent this in the future: STOP USING DOGS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT! It’s animal cruelty and cruelty to humans when dogs bite them. Use dogs to sniff out cancer and for search and rescue.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Considering the per capita implications of those stats, hippos must be major assholes.

2 Likes

I hear they can be quite aggressive!

1 Like

The Aristocrats!

1 Like

To bite is canid; to moo, bovine.

7 Likes

You are permanently banned from the internet, the outernet, the sneakernet, and the safety net.

4 Likes

And humans kill millions of sharks, annually. :cry:

1 Like

Not as stunned as the officer’s dog.

3 Likes

But if sharks could walk, they’d kill a lot more.

1 Like

So good. You have made my day.

1 Like

Let them sniff for drugs, guns, sperm or whatever cops find useful. That’s safe work that the dogs enjoy. I agree that you should never train them to attack people, though. It’s dangerous both for the dogs and for innocent people.

Drug sniffing is also problematic since their mediocre success rate and their susceptibility to being primed by their handler makes them unreliable. Ironically, as unreliable as police dogs can be, it’s the human police I’m more concerned with in their abuse, whether abusing dogs as weapons or abusing dogs as victims.

1 Like

“Probable cause on four paws!”

2 Likes

When it comes to stuff like drugs, false positives doesn’t matter as much since you soon find out if you don’t find any drugs.That is, if the handler knows what he is doing, and I’m not going to blame the dog if a racist cops teach it, consciusly or unconscoiusly, to always signal at black people. Then the problem isn’t using dogs but using racist cops. Despite not being perfect, dogs are a lot better than humans at finding drugs.

Only time I’ve had an encounter with one was when entering USA on an airport and one of their beagles marked that I might have contraband, that is agricultural products, and that dog was almost correct, I had brought fruits but ate it on the airplane, but the smell must have lingered.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.