Police dog rescued from cop who was filmed beating it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/04/police-dog-rescued-from-cop-who-was-filmed-beating-it.html

14 Likes

Fearing for your life due to a public servant is so depressing (and so unsurprising here).

33 Likes

New year, same shitty humans.

25 Likes

But wise. US cops don’t serve the public, they terrorize the public.

This story is itself sadly unsurprising. Animal abuse in K9 units is routine to teach them to attack other humans.

23 Likes

And understandable

14 Likes

A question that bears constantly repeating: if this is what they do to their own K-9 officers, what do you think they’re doing to people?

Great point. Another question is what are they training dogs to do to people as their proxies? We’ve seen too many cases where they are just being used to injure or kill:

Who knows what really led to this?

19 Likes

The officer’s family might be in danger as well.

19 Likes

Familiar story. Rookie cop sees corruption, reports it, gets the beat down for crossing the blue line.

5 Likes

Maybe the dog made a move to grab the cop’s gun?

3 Likes

People have been shot for less. This is no different than beating a child. Don’t throw the book at him, use it as a hammer.

4 Likes

The choice to use an animal as a weapon must include a choice that it isn’t worthy of empathy. Police demand we treat their weapons (both organic and inorganic) with empathy while offering non themselves.
Where I live, there is laws on the books (named for a po-po-pup) that results in extra punishment for people who harm a police dog while being harmed by the animal-weapon. So which is it, a weapon/tool or a creature worthy of empathy… seems it depends on who uses the tool.

5 Likes

Just one bad apple? “nOt aLL cOpS!”
Yes, all cops-

Until all cops are held accountable, they’re all bad!

6 Likes

US cops operate above the law. A civilian harming a police dog in self-defense is usually charged as assaulting an officer, but that isn’t enforced against cops. Cops demand the power of life and death over non-cops. And when they exercise that power to brutalize or murder you and you or you or surviving family try to take them to court because prosecutors refuse to hold cops to the law, the State sticks the taxpayers with the bill. The end result of a legally-protected unionized mafia feared by the elected government is entirely predictable.

The foundation of US cops is kiss the ring and hope they let you live. They hold a power most absolute monarchs lost centuries ago.

9 Likes

Isn’t abuse of animals considered an early indicator in many serial killers’ history? It worries me.

9 Likes

Its a cop, soooo… promotion?

3 Likes

Or his subway sandwich. Cops around here don’t seem to know the difference.

1 Like

I think that’s when they’re younger, before they graduate (from the Academy) to killing people.

1 Like

Defense: “Your honor, you can see from the pictures that the dog was mostly brown and black.”

3 Likes

The expression is often used for US police and, ironically, extremely apt, as remember the whole expression is “a rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.” This is especially true given that in US policing, the barrel has been carefully designed to retain and protect the rotten apples while expelling the good ones.

9 Likes

Indeed. The apple comparison is dead on arrival. I updated my post as a response to boot-lickers’ other favorite reaction.

3 Likes