Cop shoots blind 13lb family dog claiming he thought it had "rabies"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/22/cop-shoots-blind-13lb-family-dog-claiming-he-thought-it-had-rabies.html

15 Likes

Cops kill dogs in staggering numbers: more than ten thousand of them a year. It comes from their training, which is to escalate violently in pursuit of a notional safety that exists mostly to justify that use of violence. And it comes from their inclination: the job attracts angry, violent people who are always looking for that unsafe place.

Too bad most of the media spends more time on copaganda than on exposing these points. :disappointed: In a nation of people so concerned about pets, it amazes me how many won’t consider what 45 thinks of them. If we’re still hearing about Governor Noem’s dog story in six months, this topic might be used to renew calls to defund and reform the police.

24 Likes

“In light of recent actions of a heroic police officer, Kristi Noem has decided it’s the right time to restart her book tour.”

16 Likes

And it might have been carrying fentanyl poisoning, which is another police problem.

16 Likes

Heck, the dog might have been selling fentanyl. Or trying to give it to the nearby children for free. Remember, we have all been assured that free fentanyl distribution to minors is totally a thing that happened everywhere on Halloween.

17 Likes

Huh, well there’s a job for Governor Noem when she loses the next election.

2 Likes

There’s a documentary about this issue: https://www.ofdogsandmendoc.com/

3 Likes

After reading a piece on multiple Seattle area indoor gun ranges being lead death traps for years, I’m starting to suspect the “bad apples” are more/worse than a culture issue.

4 Likes

This is exactly why we need to defund the police. Not only will it remove trigger-happy cops, it will free up public funds to provide services that help people

15 Likes

the Sturgeon Police Department (“SPD”) received a call out for an injured animal at large

“At large” being, in this case, behind a fence in a yard. With kids nearby. And when the dustmop didn’t jump and ask for treat, he shot it.

Thank goodness he wasn’t working on a speed trap that day.

3 Likes

And that not even a black dog.

1 Like

I particularly like the subtext that an old blind dog was able to evade this cop enough to trigger his limit break.

7 Likes

And the even more basic subtext that a cop could not even catch a blind dog!

Christ, what an asshole.

(And welcome to the BBS!)

7 Likes

“Despite being warned by the officer, the dog reached for its waistband, causing the officer to fear that it might have a concealed weapon.”

5 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been here since 2005, just never bothered making an account.

3 Likes

maybe if he’d silently approached? probably was screaming at it to comply

Great minds think alike :wink:

I think I found the main page via Bruce Schneier back in the not-so-good-old-days after 9/11.

(I’ve come to term this period the “Eternal September 11th” – when we took the hysteria previously restricted to the K12 enviornment after Columbine and extended it out into the greater world)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.