Cop: not laughing at my joke question is reasonable suspicion. Laughing at it is reasonable suspicion too.

I frequently think of the studies that found that, on average, people were terrible at detecting liars, and cops were average in their ability, but were convinced they, unlike everyone else, were incredibly good at it. Seems like a solid basis for inflicting their authority on people and overturning their lives. Or they could just flip a coin, which would be at least as accurate.

3 Likes

“Officer, I just borrowed the alligator, is my mom saying I stole her alligator?”

“Please exit the vehicle.”

1 Like

When going into Australia, and being asked about felony convictions, I’ve been so tempted to respond “Is that still a requirement?” Fortunately, I did have some self-restraint.

(Not that I have been asked in years; information sharing and electronic kiosks/gates have really cut down on interactions.)

2 Likes

No, no. A joke what you claim something you said was when people get upset.

1 Like

Am I the only one that hears “reasonable suspicion” and wonders "reasonable suspicion of what exactly? Do they ever say?

4 Likes

so officer gets to keep doing this? damn. acab

1 Like

No, it just means he has remarkable insight and strategies for evaluating and sussing out people he doesn’t like the looks of.

2 Likes

Speaking as one of those less vulnerable demographics, I’m still worried I’m going to be shot every time I interact with or even am in visual range of a cop. They can kill anyone they want at any time for any justification and the majority of the time they get away with it. Maybe they just feel like doing a murder that day, for all I know. And here’s this asshole cop acting like you need to be guilty of any actual wrongdoing to be nervous when pulled over by someone who gets to decide if you live or die on a whim.

4 Likes

Makes me think of the one time (not at a border crossing) that I was asked something like this 20 years ago. I honestly don’t remember if there was a “joke” component to the question now, but I was pretty pleased when my answer elicited a quite surprised look from the cop.

Me: Yes, I have a 22 rifle, a 20ga shotgun 3 swords and several knives.

Cop: decides that even though all of that was legal, he wanted to search my car.

I was moving across country with everything I could fit into my '86 Rx7. He and his multiple buddies that joined the fun gave up before they got to the wooden crate with comic books and illegal fireworks in it. Took me 40 minutes to repack everything to get the rear hatch to close. Lazy a$$&oles.

7 Likes

It’s from Terry v. Ohio, and I believe the exact phrase is “reasonable, articulable suspicion that criminal activity is afoot”

That’s why this was tossed out - the criminal activity was a-vehicle, not afoot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.