Cop Stories

I’ve been stopped seven times over the course of two years, all while on foot, all for walking in public. Also pointedly followed once, and also had lights and sirens flashed at me one night, presumably by the same guy/outfit who’d stopped me the night before because it was at the same place at the same time of night. (I was there to repeat the previous walk so I wouldn’t develop an aversive response. I guess he or one of his buddies was there waiting for me? Seems like obviously yes.) I was also filmed by police cellphone on my way into a grocery store and again on the way out, presumably because I walked there.

At least around here and apparently a lot of other places walking is no longer considered normal. Same as with the part of Melz’s story – which did have a great ending – about people calling the police for walking in a tunnel. It’s the same deal … you’re being different, you’re standing out, and you’re not supposed to do that.

So I’ve seen a lot of police procedure in stops, a lot of field interrogation, and I don’t think they’re doing it right. Their approach has the side-effect of leaving people feeling bullied, wronged and abused, of leaving a trail of ill will wherever they go (in too many cases). Just like with the Uber driver.

And after this many encounters, I feel … hunted. It’s not good. There’s a pressure, a psychological headwind which didn’t used to be there. My walks aren’t the same now, which may be the intended effect. I now think of them as Freedom of Navigation walks, and I have to steel myself against possible resistance when I’d rather just be enjoying them, preferably in a creative revery.

7 Likes