Cop who killed George Floyd arrested

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/29/cop-who-killed-george-floyd-ar.html

18 Likes

Counterfeiting.

Until now, I had not heard what the alleged crime was that “caused” the racist cop to murder George Floyd.

Motherfucking.

COUNTERFEITING.

42 Likes

'Bout damn time.

16 Likes

And the previous horror of “I can’t breathe” murder of Eric Gardner was for selling cigarettes separated from a carton and thereby avoiding paying some sales tax. …yep. It’s nothing whatever to do with the apparent or suspected crime; it’s flat out lethal racism.

39 Likes

IIRC the last atrocious “I can’t breathe” moment was precipitated by selling unlicensed single cigarettes, was it not?

I really have no words for this sort of shit. There’s nothing left to say. It’s long past time to do.

37 Likes

Wait. Weren’t there Four policemen holding Floyd down? I guess this one was arrested for letting his face go viral while performing his sworn duty…

5 Likes

Yes, that was the excuse the last time a Black man was extrajudicially killed by LEOS on camera, along with “resisting arrest.”

So tired of waiting for change to come:

21 Likes

One guy to kneel on the neck, three guys to watch.

19 Likes

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think this would have happened without the rioting. That’s where we are now- our country is so racist that violent riots are needed to get even the tiniest sliver of justice for murdered people of color. And unless they keep the pressure on, I’m quite sure he’ll be let off with a slap on the wrist even now.

28 Likes

Fucking third degree murder, like it’s not intentional to kill someone by kneeling on their neck for 7 minutes.

28 Likes

Now they need to arrest the other 3 officers who participated in the murder, the officer who led the attack on the Autozone to frame the protestors, and the officers who indiscriminately have been firing tear gas and pepper spray at peaceful protestors and random pedestrians without any warning or instruction prior. Every damn one of them.

29 Likes

Haven’t heard this. What’s the story there?

1 Like

Arrest

Never expect much actual justice in these situations, but each step in that direction feels like a big victory.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minneapolis officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died in custody after pleading that he could not breathe, was arrested Friday.

can’t even be bothered to parse the language gymnastics journalists go through to avoid describing what actually happened

by Atrios at 13:35

10 Likes

Boosting earlier fact-checks that this particular detail is as-yet unconfirmed. We have other well-documented examples of uniformed officers engaging in escalation/provocation though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lollardfish/status/1266354581979705345

h/t @MalevolentPixy

16 Likes

I saw a Tumblr post mentioning that, but I haven’t seen any corroboration yet. If so, though I am very sad to say that I would not be surprised.

4 Likes
4 Likes

It’s an unsubstantiated accusation. The guy who smashed the AZ Windows was dressed in all black and was wearing a full face mask respirator. A Honeywell model equipped with p100 and organic vapor cartridges. Equipment that was commonly available pre-covid 19 and required PPE for many professions.

People have made the mistake of thinking this guy was a cop because he was prepared with PPE for a hostile environment. He was definitely a bad actor, no doubt. His PPE is markedly different from that in use by the MPD.

People who don’t understand what they’re looking at are prone to jumping to conclusions. I’d love it if this guy could be identified and prosecuted. Ash from events he helped perpetuate is found throughout my neighborhood now and I’m 3.3 miles away.

11 Likes

Well you know how counterfeit billion dollar bills could destabilize the economy, especially given it’s current precarious state.

Oh? A $20 you say?

Yeah, you mind if I scream with you?

14 Likes

27 Likes

Here’s video a friend of mine shot on Wednesday night. The MPD are definitely bad actors doing nothing but inflaming an already bad situation. The friend who shot this said he observed similar stuff the previous night.

From the videographer:
"Here is 10 minutes of my experience last night. Captured to try and share for anyone to use, download, edit, whatever - or just understand the pain.

Sorry the footage is shaky. I was scared - but not of the people around me."

Warning, this video may be disturbing to some due to violence and language.

14 Likes