Cops harass Black man who knows his legal rights

oh god

8 Likes

It’s amazing how some of the whitest of frozen precipitation are so triggered by black people having and utilizing rights.

Like a dog to begging strips, they can’t help themselves.

17 Likes

OK with the legalistic to and fro-ing here, but when you take a superficial look at the beefy thick-necked partner of the offending cop, well that’s not someone I would want to encounter under any circumstance, let alone idling in my driveway.

2 Likes

Troll getting it’s recommended daily allowance of negative attention ^

1 Like

This type of thing is tempting, but higher risk than I would care to engage in. If you misquote the law, you provide an opening for bullshit lying to cops charges. I’ll stick to the holy trinity, am I under arrest, am I being detained, and I have no further comment and want my lawyer.

3 Likes

This type of thing makes me so thankful for smartphones, regardless of whatever down sides the technology has. If he hadn’t been able to record this interaction, I feel 100% certain it would’ve ended very differently.
Fuck those cops, walking up on their property and making demands. :rage:

7 Likes

I’m kind of surprised that the cop didn’t just shoot him anyway because he “feared for his life” - the new way of saying that the black man was “uppity”.

3 Likes

Look again; it’s all gone.

(Lederman attempts and fails to evade his permaban at least once a year. It’s almost like clockwork.)

11 Likes

Lederman: the multi-tool you don’t want to receive during the holidays.

Man Dad GIF by This Old House

13 Likes

Everyone should have this card for reference and learn their rights. Here’s a wallet-sized card.

4 Likes

Cops consider people who are aware of and demand their legal rights to be troublemakers as only the potentially guilty would want to know how the law works apparently.

From many cops’ point of view, the law is whatever they say it is at the time they say it, as that is part of being in control, the most fundamental lesson they are taught.

Amazing how often you get variants of “the innocent have nothing to fear” at least until the public demands the same rules apply to the police and politicians and ex-Presidents.

I used to read and enjoy Judge Dredd until I realized reality was becoming too much like it.

“I AM the Law!”
“Everyone is guilty of something, you just have to look hard enough.”

6 Likes

While my immediate thought watching this is that they knew the actual law, but didn’t care, I’ve gotten into an argument with a cousin that actually is a Texas peace officer over this and had to show him the actual law as well. Thankfully my interaction with him was over a beer and not with two guys in my front lawn.

9 Likes

We’re lucky if they’re only on the lawn

They don’t care about “warrants” or “probable cause” nearly as often as we’d think they would

3 Likes

Also, the failure to identify doesn’t require that he show identification. Just that he identifies himself.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.