Know your rights while demanding justice for George Floyd #BlackLivesMatter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/01/georgefloyd-aclu.html

ACLU: “We want you to have what you’ll need to know your risks and know your rights.”

14 Likes

• The police’s main job in a protest is to protect your right to protest and to de-escalate any threat of violence.

Hey, officers…

21 Likes

Education is good, but these rights are meaningless if those in authority don’t respect them. And it sure looks like the police running over protesters with cars and horses, beating, shooting and gassing them without provocation, covering their badge numbers, targeting journalists, and smashing their own equipment to frame Black Lives Matter aren’t very interested in what’s legal right now.

17 Likes
11 Likes

All three of them!

4 Likes

Real talk.

Trevor Noah recently brought up the Principle of Legitimacy and how the concept of society is basically a contract that everyone agrees to for the well being of everyone involved.

These uprisings and the brutal fascist police response is only proving what wiser POC have always known; the social contract is broken, and has been for a very long time.

13 Likes

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2 Likes

15 Likes

Totally fair point–but I do think it’s still worthwhile for people to understand these rights to avoid (or at least minimize) the gaslighting from the media and the state who have a vested interest in people not understanding what is legal and illegal.

I wish every news item that features an officer demanding a person stop videoing or disperse from a public area without legitimate reason should also have an explainer how the officer was breaking the law by doing this. I know it’s not going to fix the underlying problem, but it’s at least throwing one starfish back in the ocean.

7 Likes

I was actually threatened with arrest by the commander of the Miami PD Internal affairs department for audio recording their interview of me. I was filing a complaint against a corrupt cop. I took the threat to the civilian review board of lawyers that were supposed to be overseeing the police and they thought it was illegal to record cops. Not a single one looked it up. Took it to the press and they would not touch it with a 10’ pole. The police are often the ones who determine if a reporter can or can not get close to a story and the cowards did not want to jeopardize their relationship with them.

10 Likes

" If you get stopped, police cannot take or confiscate any videos or photos without a warrant."

But they do.

Then what?

Do you go to court to fight them? In theory you should, but that becomes like a punishment of it’s own-- legal fees, time away from work/family, the publicity means being attacked by trolls online and in person. It’s all so fucked.

4 Likes

How about this freedom of speech right here:

2 Likes

in response to the apparent killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police officers

“Apparent”?

3 Likes

Snowflakes respond to verbal criticism with violence. Again.

You have to be prepared to lose in court. There is no evidence that they confiscated your equipment, no recordings you can submit. Not unless you find someone else to record them confiscating your equipment who didn’t have their equipment immediately confiscated for the same reason.

The only way to win would be for the cops to admit to breaking the law, and that’s not something I’d count on.

There is one good thing about living in the information age though. Recording devices are everywhere. Almost every person is carrying around a very good camera in their pocket backed by a massive amount of storage. We’ve already seen it in this protest how there is a staggering amount of footage showing what is really going down. More than anything else I think this might be what catalyzes change, the unfiltered view of the situation in the streets reaching the masses.

1 Like

They were clearly being black in public… /s

1 Like

The trick is to record straight to a server and not to your device.

Easier said than done when you’re near thousands of other people on the same cell tower.

For what it’s worth, we always soaked our masks in vinegar. It was a next defense against tear gas and would have given us sufficient time to run away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.