Cops harass Black man who knows his legal rights

Originally published at: Cops harass Black man who knows his legal rights | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Good for him; glad he survived the encounter unharmed.

68 Likes

Except for “shussh”ing the woman, this guy is my new hero. Absolutely brilliant. This is what “stand your ground” should mean—don’t let cops get away with their bullshit.

38 Likes

“I’m about to educate this m… this guy”

37 Likes

Yeah, I was not a fan of that part.

26 Likes

there - fixed that for you

12 Likes

Well, I ain’t passed the bar, but I know a little bit
Enough that you won’t illegally search my shit – Jay Z

14 Likes

I really hope this doesn’t get him targeted for periodic harassment above and beyond what he seems to already be used to.

25 Likes

It’s possible, even probable.

Black people adapt, regardless.

We have no other choice.

34 Likes

Did that one cop really try to threaten him with arrest for failure to identify after he read out the relevant law? When the encounter begins, one can assume that the cops are either incompetent or just don’t care what the law is, and make them up as they see fit in order to do whatever they want (i.e. are corrupt). Asserting the right to arrest someone, even after the law’s been read out indicates either extreme stupidity or how much they really don’t care about the law.

The thing is, it looks like Texas doesn’t even have a “stop and ID” law (which requires at least “suspicion” that a crime has been committed). They got absolutely nothin’ as a basis for threatening arrest for failure to ID.

29 Likes

22 Likes

Love when the smirk fades from the cop’s face, and the constable is visibly straining to turn the hamster wheels in his head.

23 Likes

Even though he knew his rights, it STILL could have ended up with him dead, of course.

23 Likes

There must be a law against harassment by authorities, although I suspect that if such a law exists, he would have quoted it to them.

4 Likes

Cops on preworkouts or other heavy stimulants as evident by the persistent hard chewing of gum need to go away. This is a growing problem.

9 Likes

“Do you want to purchase data… no I do not”.

9 Likes

Abso-fucking-lutely.

16 Likes

Love this. This is the unicorn chaser we’ve been waiting for.

4 Likes

IANAL but… I think it is possible for a complaint to be filed with the justice dept. against officers acting “under the color of the law” on cases like this.

Section 242 of Title 18 makes it a crime for a person acting under color of any law to willfully deprive a person of a right or privilege protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
For the purpose of Section 242, acts under “color of law” include acts not only done by federal, state, or local officials within their lawful authority, but also acts done beyond the bounds of that official’s lawful authority, if the acts are done while the official is purporting to or pretending to act in the performance of his/her official duties. Persons acting under color of law within the meaning of this statute include police officers, prisons guards and other law enforcement officials, as well as judges, care providers in public health facilities, and others who are acting as public officials. It is not necessary that the crime be motivated by animus toward the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin of the victim.

The offense is punishable by a range of imprisonment up to a life term, or the death penalty, depending upon the circumstances of the crime, and the resulting injury, if any.

9 Likes

Cackled at this part. “No, I do not. Not now.”

2 Likes