Cops mistake students' telescope for rifle, fortunately no shots fired

So 2014. Tactlenecks are where it is at now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYJfEHOuY0

Inspiring. Leads me to thoughts about what tactical gear can be built into a humble scarf… High tension strength filaments could be weaved into the fabric, or it can be made in a way that can be torn into a long high-strength strip usable as a rope. Or conductive strips can be integrated in a way that when it is stretched, they form a directional Yagi-Uda antenna…

The turtleneck itself can have a Bluetooth (or wired, or other interface) throat microphone built in, for communication in noisy environments.

And so on…

1 Like

“SIR, I AM MAKING YOU SAFER BY POINTING A GUN AT YOU!”

Police officer of the year.

11 Likes

Some folks have real-world needs.

8 Likes

True that - I forgot a holder for screwdriver bits! :smiley:

2 Likes

…Do we not want the police to investigate when they think they see someone setting up to shoot a gun in a populated area? What did the cops do wrong here?

Also only works if the cops have a capacity for sorry.

Sadly, America seems to be able to forgive cops for killing its children.

I wonder what type of rifle the cops thought the students were setting up? A mountain howitzer? What the hell.

6 Likes

How about looking around, sizing up the situation, and then saying what’s up guys, instead of–

And then they started shouting to quit moving or we could be shot.

I am assuming the telescope was never pointed at them,since it was a telescope, and they had some time to look around and see it was not a high powered sniper rifle.

6 Likes

“Better safe than sorry” — The Fuck is that supposed to mean? Better safe and assume two kids with a telescope are snipers? Better pull your guns and threaten instead of, I dunno, yelling “hello?”. Christ on a circus pony, what clowns.

7 Likes

According to witness accounts, the persons being assailed, the police initially made their presence known by shining bright lights on them… And the telescope.

Yet the police continued with their tactical roleplaying, threatening to shoot even after having seen clear evidence that they were in the wrong.

7 Likes

What the hell? A hell cannon, perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue:

A nice four-barrel version can be mounted on a front-loading earth mover.

This type.

Reminds me of what happened at Sheridan College a few years back:
Tripod mistaken for gun prompted Sheridan College lockdown

At least we got some funny T-shirts out of it: http://www.cafepress.ca/mf/25910870/at-sheridan-tripod-equals-rifle_tshirt?productId=221713901

Same thing happened to my brother, 30-odd years ago. Being Canada, politely asked questions, no guns drawn.

No, more like the howitzer, but larger. Anyone inexperienced enough to mistake that for a rifle scope, let alone a rifle, would also be more likely to want to be the cop car as opposed to the cop. Or a fire engine.

3 Likes

“NO shots fired” So, guessing they were white then?

3 Likes

I carry a tripod, in a bag on public transportation all the time and no one has ever acted weird. Of course I am middle aged and white, and I also have a camera bag with me, or is it actually just extra ammo.

I was once on a college campus doing service work, when a guy in a bad gorilla suit, came up and threw his arm around my neck and began interviewing me about my feelings about LaSalle University. His accomplice had a video camera and was recording everything, now I am thinking they may have been terrorist all along. How could I have been so dumb.

2 Likes

It says a lot about a culture’s law enforcement standards that the keystone kops didn’t shoot the stargazing kids counts as a good day.

Well, there is precedent…

1 Like

Now the funny thing: even if it were a rifle, there still would have been almost no grounds for them to be arrested or have any charges filed… second amendment, dontcha know.

1 Like