Coronavirus: More than 1,000 people have died, mostly in China

I think we can’t know that yet. There are ways that it could be either low or high at this point. That said, even 2-3% has the potential to be as bad as the Spanish flu

1 Like

Maybe it’s fair to admit that NONE of these numbers can be verified and ALL come from a dictatorship regime used to figures manipulation.

All these nice graphs only reflect confirmed case from Chinese hospital, tested positive and approved by the CCP.

Not one single international organisation is present there for accurate report.

There are plenty of reports/videos with sick person getting refused at the hospital entrance and asked to wait at home. They are not inside these numbers.

There are also reports/video of a limitation on the amount of test an hospital is able to do per day. There is no data on how many tests are actually done at each hospital for example.
It lets you understand how underestimated these numbers are.

To give you the scale, it’s only when the virus spread outside China that we start to do a parallel estimation and put numbers together.
HK university figures announce that its underestimated by a factor of 20.
(This is an article from few days ago.)

The dean of the university’s medical school, Gabriel Leung, said his team has estimated that as of Saturday, some 44,000 people in Wuhan alone were likely to have been infected by the new virus.

With the estimated infection figure drastically higher than the mainland’s latest official tally of 2,744 confirmed cases – and infections now reported in around a dozen countries – the HKU experts said a global epidemic could be imminent.

3 Likes

Damn. NK is fucked (more than usual). The only good thing about NK is most people are too poor to travel. If we ever get the numbers from there it is going to skew the stats. It is bad enough we are probably getting low ball numbers from China. Gah.

3 Likes

I would still be hesitant to believe the report since its unofficial, but i do fear what might happen if it was true. Obviously screw the regime but the people are ill equipped to survive such a disease.

3 Likes

Even before the current coronavirus outbreak, analysts said that North Korea had no capacity to deal with a pandemic.

Though the socialized health system established 60 years ago does reach every community and includes many dedicated career personnel, that means little when it is woefully underfinanced and composed of many undertrained staff, barren medicine cabinets, and 60-year-old diagnostics. The only way to address TB and other infectious diseases effectively is through a holistic approach to the fundamental problems of poverty in North Korea, rooted in the lack of clean water, basic nutrition, and electrical power. Elementary preparedness capacities to prevent, detect, and respond to pandemics fall far short. This is a government whose only recourse during previous health crises (Middle East respiratory syndrome [MERS], Ebola, and pandemic flu) was a panicked shutdown.

3 Likes

Too poor to travel, not too poor to flee as refugees. It was happening to some degree during the famine in the 90s, with people escaping over the Border to China. It could happen again, especially if the outbreak impacts the military.

3 Likes

Unsettling video of the medical care provided to Chinese citizens. NSFW

1 Like

I’d like to see the numbers on critical condition patients, those not likely to make it. I’ve seen a few numbers thrown out around 6500. If that’s the case then you are looking at a mortality rate closer to 20%.

1 Like
  • boy trapped in the well is just a fake,
  • army of the 12 monkeys claims responsibility,
  • guy shot in airport
  • we all live underground …
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.