Corporate opposition to LGBTQ discrimination laws shows the GOP alliance has shattered

Kids these days.

8 Likes

Not looking for a fight, either. I admit freely to being a raging jerk.

Fact of the matter i,s proof-texting is really the default mode for most people trying to apply the Bible and its rules to modern life

This morning I saw the headline that Donald Trump thinks these discriminatory laws are a bad idea and people should use whatever restroom they identify with. I was like ā€œwait, wha?ā€

Then I scrolled down the page a bit. THEREā€™S the bigoted sexist asshole we all have come to know.

4 Likes

One has to bear in mind that Donald Trumpā€™s run for president is really just an elaborate practical joke played on the Republican party. A ā€œMy Fair Ladyā€/ā€œTrading Placesā€ type bet among the Koch Brothers that they can construct the perfect offensive, asshole politician and will be praised by conservatives far and wide.

(At least I keep telling myself that to feel better. Denial and fantasy are good escapes from a ridiculous reality)

4 Likes

I wish discourse would embed quoted tweets properlyā€¦

5 Likes

But donā€™t you know that fathers helping their daughters is against God and Nature? Itā€™s liberal claptrap. Mothers are supposed to wipe asses clean, not men. Men have more important things to do in public bathrooms, like maintaining a wide stance (because thatā€™s how real men do it).

8 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, was I copied on that memo? Because Iā€™m pretty sure I didnā€™t get it, and I need to show it to the boss here. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

2 Likes

A simple question for you. Is it not outrageous that there are countries where homosexuality is a capital offense?

What I mean by ā€œwould you have beenā€ is pretty simple. Would you have been or were you against the boycott of South Africa?

This isnā€™t an either-or question, you know. We can be against both. Stop pretending otherwise.

4 Likes

(as an aside and having nothing to do with this particular discussion) Though I absolutely think people should try to hold themselves to the standards they espouse, failing to do so does not negate the position. I hold that taking a moral position that is opposed to ones own actions is not only admirable, but a necessary starting point (assuming the opposition is acknowledged). A great read on the topic: https://aeon.co/essays/how-often-do-ethics-professors-call-their-mothers .

Meh.

The Confederates argued for slavery, until that was untenable. Then they argued against civil rights, then they argued against feminism, then they argued against LGBT rights. Remove one victim, and they move on to the next: this time, it looks to be non-USA Americans and Muslims.

Same old shit, same old shitty people. The Union won the war but lost the peace; the Confederates are still running the show.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.