Could TV's current acceptance of powerful women help pave the way for Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign?

Good point. Deep Space Nine, too.

[citation needed]

I mean, isnā€™t one of the big points of democracy that you donā€™t need any special experience to be grand high poobah of the acknowledged dinkus brigade that is our fellow human? That literally, that guy next to you on the train would be as good a leader as anyone else?

1 Like

Iā€™d hope sheā€™d run under a 3rd party.

2 Likes

And apparently did it while looking oddly similar to Christopher Walken.

Everyone who met him apparently thought GWB was an incredibly likeable guy. I think we should agree to take that off the table as a requirement. As for your ideal candidate, have you heard Elizabeth Warren speak? Sheā€™s a lefty wet dream.

4 Likes

Wish TV had a role model that stood up for The People, and not just their own interests.

9 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure that becoming president is really the way to make the most change in the U.S. government. Having strong and ETHICAL leadership in the House, Senate and Cabinet, and heading many of the agencies does more in the long runā€¦if you have to choose between those two options. Both together is better, obviously.

2 Likes

A whisker biscuit?

Some people in democratic societies have made that particular claim; but itā€™s pretty much unrelated to democracy as a thing.

Democracy does imply that you donā€™t need any special experience to part of the process of choosing the latest leader(or that, even if special experience would be helpful, letting amateurs have a go at it is in practice the lesser evil than trying to keep your aristocracy from turning into an oligarchy); but it is perfectly compatible with the notion that being the leader is a difficult job requiring specific talent/experience/skill/etc; so long as it includes the idea that the electorate at large is capable of choosing such leaders at least some of the time.

3 Likes

President Cyborg or Robot

1 Like

Iā€™ll argue that the most important skill you need is Leadership.

Thatā€™s too far future. Female president still has a little life left in it, and beyond that Asian president or gay president. Asian lesbian president is probably on par with cyborg president, in terms of its futuristic quality.

1 Like

Hells no. Weā€™ve been dealing with having lots of leadership without any representation. And as my old axiom goes: ā€œLeadership is for people who donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing.ā€ Iā€™ll take representation rather than leadership.

1 Like

Did TVā€™s acceptance of lead men womanizing help pave the way for Bill Clintonā€™s presidency?

Did TVā€™s acceptance of the loosening of sexual mores help pave the way for a more promiscuous society?

Did TVā€™s acceptance of homosexual characters help pave the way for gay marriage?

Did Murphy Brownā€™s baby help pave the way for larger acceptance of single motherhood?

Remember that when social conservatives pointed out that Murphy Brownā€™s baby could do that, we were derided because, ā€œItā€™s just a TV show!ā€

Are those of you who are social liberals now admitting that TV shows can now lead and condition a society into accepting the morality presented there?

1 Like

Or, did people use other media to coerce people into avoiding promiscuity, homosexuality, and single parents in the first place? It would be assuming far too much to say that there is even any agreement about the supposed ā€œmoralityā€ involved with any of these.

People are conditioned to fight to the death over stupid shit like this precisely because these things donā€™t matter. It keeps people, their familes, and the education easier for self-interested busybodies to control. Instead of teaching people critical thinking, problem solving - anything which would actually help.

2 Likes

Sure, thatā€™ll keep for a few decades, but eventually it will have to be a gay cyborg president.

Only to an extent. What makes it on TV (and what we find allowable on TV as a society) is a mirror of what is going on in society.

Sans Murphy Brown, weā€™d probably still be accepting of single motherhood. It may have helped changes some peopleā€™s attitudes towards it, but the fact that it got greenlit for TV meant that those attitudes were already changing.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess likability is a naive criterion, but the President is awfully social roleā€¦

Warren would be the best candidate if she ran, I think. Not sure what the field is like; Iā€™ll guess Iā€™ll check Wikipedia to see if there are any goodnā€™s among the crackpots.

So how do we actually measure if it does? I wasnā€™t aware of Gallup or other polling companies finding an actual measurement for ā€œmah feelsā€ā€¦ Maybe if election ads were only posted through Tumblrā€¦ /shudder

With this logic, we should have had the first gay president right after Will and Grace was cancelledā€¦ then again, Iā€™m looking forward to future president Tim Cook.

What can I say, Iā€™m a bit grouchy today, the acupuncture didnā€™t take yet.

We DONā€™T! This multi-stage popularity contest / circus is what ruins US elections. Just put a list of all 10-20-whatever viable names and choose once. No media circus, and no poll results until itā€™s finished.