Could TV's current acceptance of powerful women help pave the way for Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign?

Despite a current homophobic and racist government (and the fact that people obviously voted for them) , Australia manages to have at least had a senior Cabinet minister and current Leader of the Opposition in the Senate that meets your futuristic test.

1 Like

Unfortunately, she’s too savvy to run.

1 Like

Where are the grammar nazis, when people keep miss spelling Elizabeth Warren as Hillary Clinton? Honestly, I am bad a spelling but I not that bad… :*(

1 Like

Grammar Nazi reporting in!

Sorry, its “cookies” isn’t it, not “biscuits”… meme-failure…

4 Likes

Doesn’t that depend on who is being represented? Plus, We get representation in Congress. If you want goals accomplished, you need leadership.

Where on the scale does Native American President fall?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, for every show that elevates strong women, there’s a “Real Housewives” cast pulling things in the opposite direction.

1 Like

Is that like the US version of “Suburban Shootout”?

I get what you’re saying… but when did it ever reward actual experience? The system has always been tilted towards those already in power… Clinton and Obama are just as qualified and experienced as anyone else. But I’m not really sure what kind of experience prepares you to be leader of the free world?

This probably explains why the media focuses so much attention on the presidential election, and not nearly as much on the off-year elections…

1 Like

I would argue that they weren’t when they ran against each other in the primaries, and it is exactly that difference in experience that has been a major weakness in Obama’s tenure as president.

We always say we don’t want entrenched politicians, but you know who knows how to work with entrenched politicians to get things done? Not newbie outsiders, that’s for sure!

1 Like

How many presidents have had real careers outside of politics? (and is it a good thing?)

Dubya misran some oil companies and a baseball team, and Carter was a peanut farmer. Does acting count?

I’m getting sick of all UK MPs being Oxbridge grauduates in PPE who have done nothing but work for politicians (or in PR, yay Cameron).

Can we please not paint this as a gender issue. My mother called me a sexist since I refused to vote for Hillary Clinton in the primaries (I asked her if her picking Clinton over Obama made her racist; and then voted Kucinich). It is possible to not want Clinton as president for reasons that have nothing to do with her gender. In this case using sexism is just going to squelch debate, like using the term “antisemitism” can in debates on Israel’s politics.

“You hate Hillary because she’s a woman”
“No I dislike her polic…”
“SEXIST!”

2 Likes

Agreed, but not all criticism of her is about her politics, but are actually about her gender. I’d very much like it if we could talk about her policies, but there will likely be a loud enough contingent yelling at her to iron their shirts, and we’ll talk endlessly about the pants suits, etc and oh my god, why won’t they shut up…

1 Like

At least she made an early bid for the Gamer vote.

Aside: How much criticism of Thatcher was sexist in nature?

I just found this:

3 Likes

That’s a good question/point. I don’t think that we should take gendered criticism of any woman in political power.

3 Likes

A lot of countries are futuristic… when compared to the USA, that is.

I think that may be “fantasy.”

I almost dangerously jumped into politics in reply… Bad me. Bad.

I agree, that is annoying. No matter what you think of her politics, you kind of have to admit that she is a strong, intelligent, and somewhat awesome woman. That contingent is regrettable, but will always exist. Look at Obama and the continuing (!) hullabaloo over him being a Muslim terrorist African noncitizen who wants to make us all gay terrorists and turn the christian “white race” into slaves of the Communist Islamic state.

God, people piss me off.

3 Likes