Counterfeiter caught after he tossed test prints in his trash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/counterfeiter-caught-after-he.html

4 Likes

A clue that the money was funny is that one of the $50 notes was printed on a the back of a receipt from Alabama Pardons and Paroles.

of-course

30 Likes

20 Likes

Alabama is the Florida of states that aren’t Florida.

20 Likes

https://gfycat.com/charmingdecisivefugu

9 Likes

I used to work in a print shop, and we used to joke that between all of our different skills, we totally could have printed counterfeit money. Of course, it was a joke, because we were neither criminal nor stupid (nor criminally stupid, which would mean throwing your setup sheets into the trash where they could be found).

15 Likes

Investigators estimate between 10 and 30 thousand dollars in Shock’s counterfeit bills are already in circulation.

I dunno, based on how expensive printer ink is, he might have barely broke even…

31 Likes

And to think that for less than a single one of those ersatz $50’s, he could have bought one of these:

14 Likes

Was the garbage collector poking through his trash, or was he really stupid enough not to tie the bags properly? (Narrator: “Yes, yes he was.”)

16 Likes

14 Likes

Can confirm.

4 Likes

He thought himself the Napoleon of Crime, but he was really the Charles II of Crime.

11 Likes

Not too bright, that one.

2 Likes

I’m kinda stuck on that last bit, wherein one is encouraged to turn in counterfeit bills one has already passed. Unless he means a different thing by ‘passed’…

2 Likes

The print shop I work at used to have a bar next door. One night after a shift one of the temp employees went into the bar jokingly bragging about printing bill in the shop after hours. Unsurprisingly the shop got a visit from the Secret Service soon after.

2 Likes

On the subject of counterfeiting…here’s a good film, IMHO.

6 Likes

Hell yeah. I worked in printing and print technology for years, including Crosfield Electronics (owned by De La Rue) and later Canon. It got so I couldn’t see a printed object without idly turning it over and wondering how it was made. If you work with colour double-sided photocopiers, you want to stick in a banknote and see how good it is. If you run a press, you want to get the press control manual out, and see how it might be tweaked. If you are a printer, a banknote is not just a banknote, it is a challenge.

At Canon we joked about making a twenty pound note at 2/3 scale, just for when you offer a real twenty pound note in a shop and the assistant asks “Haven’t you got anything smaller?”. Common sense prevailed, and we didn’t, of course.

In the light of that, it is not surprising that someone who tries to fake banknotes is a bit light on common sense.

6 Likes

On the other hand, they are admitting he managed to pass maybe $30,000 worth of notes, so… not exactly a criminal mastermind, but not a complete failure.

1 Like

Maybe Limestone County mandates clear garbage bags.

1 Like

Or they have an Esper machine.

1 Like