Couple drops acid and attempts to assemble Ikea furniture

Inorite. Still it’s more interesting than reading a post by someone complaining about how boring listening to someone else talk about the trip they had while they were building Ikea furniture.

…rereads above sentence, edits it, realises it still doesn’t make sense, thinks “Screw It” and posts anyway…

So in order to prevent my post from reaching hitherto unplumbed levels of bordeom inducement, here’s some karate nuns.

15 Likes

I was expecting not to like this video, and when she said it was her first trip I thought that was pretty dumb.

But watching it, it looked like an awesome first trip. Reading through the comments here and thinking of my own preconceptions, it’s easy to get caught up on the idea that you have to manufacture this mystical, life changing experience on acid, but you know, that’s bullshit.

Spending a few hours laughing trying to perform a task like this was probably a really good way to give context to the effects, and I just loved it when they said fuck it and went outside for a walk, and ended up on the swings.

The number of times we all said fuck it and went outside for a walk, and ended up on the swings.

Man. Good times.

18 Likes

Fixed that for ya :wink:

2 Likes

Feel free to look through my post history, if you’re game to test that half-arsed assertion.

7 Likes

Dunno about ‘proof’, but the yodelling at the end seems to be evidence that acid turns perceptions of Swedes into perceptions of Swiss.

3 Likes

Cool, Johnny Depp and Julianne Moore made a movie together!

Gotta say, it’s better than that weird “Dog Apology” indie flick he did recently.

Me, reading your comment, and I’m not even tripping. :slight_smile:

White space is your friend. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not that other people’s dreams are inherently uninteresting, it’s that most people are terrible storytellers. Get to the point, don’t go to great lengths off in the weeds trying to explain how your dad’s office was simultaneously Soldier Field and Club Med, I haven’t been to any of those places so the references are lost on me.

5 Likes

I’ll say this: having assembled (sober) dozens of flatpack furniture items over the years, Ikea’s is consistently the easiest. The instructions are consistent and accurate, the pieces fit together, and factory errors (wrong parts, damaged parts) are much rarer. I’ve bought tables from Wayfair and chairs from Jordan’s Furniture that cost much more than typical Ikea stuff but had to be returned because of things like holes drilled in the wrong place or at the wrong angle.

5 Likes

I agree, Ikea stuff is like assembling Lego, you just follow the (pretty straight-forward) instructions, and Bob’s your uncle.

And before you ask, yes I will come round and assemble things for you, I enjoy it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Drugs that require guides scare me. I’m too old do be trying that shit for the first time.

1 Like

serious question here, isn’t this basically documenting some sort of criminal (or at misdemeanor) activity. Two people given a controlled substance, on camera. It’s documented, we know who they are, we know who produced the video and who gave it to them, etc. I’m not saying I’m for them getting in trouble for this, but how do they not?

Serious IKEA tip: use wood glue to bond edges - IKEA furniture gets a lot stronger if not depending solely on little metal and plastic fasteners

3 Likes

Ever watch Moonshiners?

1 Like

There’s no way to prove it. Anyone can pretend to be tripping. Besides, once you’re finished you are no longer in possession. It’s not illegal to have done drugs in the past.

5 Likes

I ended up not really liking this video- and I had to ask myself why that was.
I went in with fairly high hopes. Conceptually, I thought there was a decent chance of seeing something interesting happen. And, indeed, it might have- but the storytelling was poor, and the whole thing ended up feeling half-assed. I’d put the failure on the crew shooting it. I didn’t feel much in the way of empathy for the two subjects, and there didn’t seem to be much in the way of development of character or plot. It’s got to have a plot arch, right? To tell a compelling story?
I dunno. 5/10. Not going to return it, but would not buy again.

2 Likes

The video makes a sort of sense of pointedly not trying to be profound about the it; the subjective experience of perhaps melting into the apartment floor while feeling playfully poked by the universe doesn’t create much sensation on camera. I had to grin though at 1:56, yeah, that’s the sort of persistence of purpose expected. Overall, it seemed at first an odd introduction for someone to get to that particular experience, but upon some reflection, I have to concede that there are worse set and settings than chilling in someone’s home and playing around in the spirit of irony…

3 Likes

Moralize much???

Wow.

I come to bOINGbOING ever since I wandered into a Tower Records store in Sacramento way back before Y2K and found this bit of cultural essence

Thirty years later I find myself attracted to the same loveliness that first attracted me to: zines, blogs, missives…

I am fairly toasted right now; look up fermented grapes, cannabis and kartom. Small dosages can get you nicely toasted. I have stepped away from power tools and am now with pencil and pad and keyboard.

So the last thing I need right now is some moral/parable/fable preachy reactions from wanna-be priests/priestesses.

This is a great video. If you don’t like it, STF.

1 Like

No, see, the only thing that matters is that you get to feel morally superior…yeha, you.