Couple purchased government surplus storage containers but turned out they... weren't empty

Originally published at: Couple purchased government surplus storage containers but turned out they… weren't empty | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Gee, where could these have come from?

25 Likes

Guessing there’s a little more to the story, based on the search warrant. Sounds like there was a suspicion this might have happened before, perhaps?

13 Likes

Alls well that ends well. /s

8 Likes

Aren’t guns legal in Texas?

8 Likes

You never know what you’re gonna find stored in a government warehouse…

40 Likes

They will be lucky if the no one tries to prosecute them for illegal possession of automatic weapons.

6 Likes

I’m guessing the search warrant was to make sure the rest were empty in an expedited manner.

12 Likes

That and typical bureaucratic ass covering. Someone is going to catch big trouble for this. They don’t want them to get away with it because they didn’t have a warrant to find the guns (even though the people who bought the surplus storage boxes willingly turned them over to BATF).

14 Likes

“Sorry, these are reserved for the Taliban and Mexican drug cartels”

7 Likes

Now the question comes up, how many of these cases had been sold to other, less forthcoming individuals who simply viewed their new (illegal) automatic weapons as a windfall?

19 Likes
28 Likes

Oh man, that is the kind of thing that will end you up in military prison for such a screw up. Unless it was an inside job to try to smuggle out weapons to the black market -and then it is going to be a huge deal.

8 Likes

Not to stereotype Texans but I’m pleasantly surprised they notified the authorities. Good for them.

13 Likes

If that map included CIA interventions other than bombings and **assassination plots, you’d see more than a few locations marked up in the US.

*** or maybe…

5 Likes

I know, right? It’s hilarious that by sticking to those two data points it appears that nearly all of North America is a peaceful oasis.

5 Likes

I hope they at least get a finders fee for all their trouble.

14 Likes

When the ATF guy shows up, he needs to be like “Hmm… [grimaces] see, thing is… [runs finger over a small scratch on one of the guns] once you open the box, the collectible value goes way down. Best I can do is fifty bucks.”

11 Likes

There’s just something about a man in a tank top and cowboy hat.

I’m not sure that’s the concern. It’s less “why do you have these guns” and more “how did you get these guns without knowing you were buying guns?”. The second one should be deeply concerning regardless of your position on the 2nd amendment.

4 Likes