Couple suing overgrown 30-year-old son for not moving out of their house

I love my parents and got along fine with them, or at least better than most teenagers. But they raised me to be independent, and expected me to be independent, and I wanted to be independent. They’ve offered me backup when I hit rough patches, but I tried not to overstay my welcome, so the offer is still open. And I did the same with my kids. What astonishes me now is that so many people don’t put that much thought into parenting.

8 Likes

Have you never met Italian boys?

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s totally the US; parents in other countries never falter in their duties, anywhere else in the world.

11 Likes

There are more subtle ways than suing:

4 Likes

Remember- the fetus isn’t viable until after medical school.

6 Likes

(Video is cued.)

1 Like

In my state, this is what it would take to get the police involved. A person who overstays their welcome for years should be treated like a non-paying tenant and the homeowner has to go through the eviction process.

3 Likes

My son is living off campus at his college in the same city I live in. He is actually paying his rent, but I got the tuition. First year he was in a dorm so that didn’t count, but second year he moved to an apartment with a couple of room mates. I helped him move, and afterwards we were sitting at his kitchen table having a beer, when I said to him, Do you know the best thing about this place?

He looked at me and said, no. I said if I piss you off you can throw me out and I have to leave. Your house, your rules. I doubt he will move back.

8 Likes

Obligatory Fry & Laurie:

4 Likes

Like I said, dealing with my family’s people, this story would never have gone that far.

Either he’d have come home one day to all his shit sitting on the curb, or he’d come home to find all the other occupants gone and the utilities turned off.

1 Like

Obviously, the kid has figured out that the parents don’t mean what they say. He is playing them, and they are letting him play them. There’s plenty of blame to go around, but I think most of the blame falls on the parents. They raised the kid. They haven’t taken real action to get him out.

“Uh, Junior, we, uh, that is, both of us, uh, um, think it’s almost time for you to, uh, maybe be leaving…if it’s not too much trouble.”

"Nope, not going.

“Oh, ok. Well, uh, hmm, that is, um, I see. Ok, then. Be prepared to face our wrath as we ask politely again in six months.”

3 Likes

Shit, you’re right. She’s right. That must be where the feeling of ennui, stagnation and one’s life being purposeless comes from. Or when you really like someone but your inner captain america says “son, just don’t” because nobody needs that awkward conversation.

3 Likes

Hell, I feel like that sometimes… and I’ve lived on my own, fully supporting myself ever since college.

4 Likes

It’s funny, my son just finished his freshman year and was home for 5 days before heading to work in the Rockies for the summer. He’s never going to live at home again, the city is just not his thing. And I still can’t believe he’s really gone for good except for short visits. But he’s always been a pleasure to have around, never was a cranky teen. Got his sanity from his mother.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Update: Kudos to the judge. I couldn’t have kept a straight face through that.

9 Likes

This is the best play, IMO.

My folks divorced when I was in HS: I stayed with my mom and my dad got his own place (which was never quite “my” home). Once I went to college, my mother moved back to her hometown (and that place was never quite “my” home either). So during school I never “went home;” it just didn’t exist anymore! When I got out of college, my mom gladly allowed me to stay at her place. For free, but I saved money for 9 months and finally moved out into my place. Never looked back.

There are younger people I work with now that, despite having their own place, still talk about “going home” (parents’ house). I have no perspective at all of what that’s like.

8 Likes

If it’s their home, generally not without a court ordered eviction notice (unless the person is actively committing a crime, violating a restraining order, or something like that). They’ll just tell you that it’s a civil matter and you need to go to court and file for an eviction notice.

Wow. That guy will not do well in the world. No wonder he’s afraid to leave home.

2 Likes

Looks like he got a good deal. Now somebody else will dispose of his junk.

I’ll suggest that to my wife. Wish me luck!

4 Likes