Courtney Love says Olivia Rodrigo stole her video idea from Hole album cover, and it seems like she's right

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/06/28/courtney-love-says-olivia-rodrigo-stole-her-video-idea-from-hole-album-cover-and-it-seems-like-shes-right.html

1 Like

Was it a legit tribute from one artist to another or a flagrant cash-grab? Ms. Love and the Hole brand are on everyone’s lips these days.

I guess the world may never know.

5 Likes

Frank Black’s Teenager of the Year (1994, same year as the Hole albumn)

27 Likes

I suspect there was more artistry and general effort to create the Hole photograph than the flavour-of-the-month’s Insta effort.

Why couldn’t she do something original, like wearing a lace dress, cowboy boots and sit on a haybale, looking off into the distances, deep in thought.

8 Likes

What are the odds that Olivia Rodrigo had even heard of Courtney Love before this?

11 Likes

Using a cliché is not stealing.

Does Courtney Love believe that she is now losing album sales because people in record stores are mistakenly buying the Olivia Rodrigo album because it looks similar to Hole’s?

25 Likes

Kat Bjelland must find this accusation of image stealing very amusing.

5 Likes

Tragic Prom Queen imagery? So I suppose that Stephen King also has a claim?

11 Likes

I mean… it could be derivative of the Hole album.

Or it could be derivative of the trope of a crying beauty pageant winner (which is what the Hole album was derivative of.)

I just don’t buy you can do something that satirizes, or mimics a popular cultural event, and then claim that anyone else doing that is copying you.

20 Likes

I was wondering if Rocky Horror Picture Show used that cliche, but probably not.

3 Likes

Sure, but if she’s suckling a piglet that’s definitely Amos territory.

5 Likes

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?”

Personally, if I had a 25 year old release suddenly brought into the spotlight, I’m sure complaining about it would not be my go-to move.

5 Likes

Agreed, 100%. Seems like Courtney would like to revive her “bad-person” brand? Whatever.

2 Likes

It’s a shame Weird Al never did a version of that cover art.

8 Likes

tenor-9

12 Likes

‘An original idea’. Okay.

8 Likes

I dunno maybe complaining about it is just a way to underscore the whole thing and score more publicity? and get a few more album sales? I dunno maybe a more adept play would be to be subtly throw shade and just make some posts about how good it feels to inspire the next generation and throw some back handed compliments?

2 Likes

Yeah, the general reaction has been that it’s a Carrie homage if anything

Plus she’s also been dropping refs to things like “Jennifer’s Body” (um, the film. Not the Hole song), and other films like “The Princess Diaries”, whose cheerleading outfits she aped. It’s playful referencing, if anything.

There’s a lot of talk that if she’s biting the style of any band, it’s indie rockers The Pom Pom Squad, but I’m not invested enough to look into that end of things.

6 Likes

Not that I particularly like either of them, but Courtney Love is so desperately trying to be just as culturally irrelevant as Johnny Rotten, but she’s not in on the joke.

1 Like

Rodrigo was interviewed by Sean Evans on the latest Hot Ones. She seems quite musically aware and knowledgeable. I’d bet she was familiar with Courtney Love and Hole. And the imitation of the album cover could well be intentional, but who cares. You can’t copyright such a generic idea as a prom queen with runny mascara.

9 Likes