Covers Thread: Pop Songs Redux

Now, I don’t know if I would say if this is better than the original, because I love Simon & Garfunkel, thanks to my parents, who are OF (Original Folkster) fans of S & G. But this cover was pointed out to me by . . . my mother. She’s almost 72. She loves this. It gets pretty melodramatic, but that is a thing I like sometimes.

She also likes “Indestructible” :astonished:

2 Likes

I like this far better than their cover of Land of Confusion:

But speaking of covers of 80s songs, no one has posted Frente’s version of Bizarre Love Triangle:

5 Likes

OH! Tori’s Strangle Little Girls album had some good covers, I thought…

The Stranglers…

5 Likes

Oh man, YES. That whole album. :heart:

4 Likes

The last song kills me, the Joe Jackson cover… Real Men. I love Tori!

3 Likes

Reposting a couple covers I originally posted in the I Saw This thread:

Type O Negative had a tradition of covering soft rock hits with their oppressive goth sound. They are quite brilliant.

Seals and Crofts’ Summer Breeze

Neil Young’s Cinnamon Girl

3 Likes

Sydney music anecdote:

There was an obscure Australian jangle-pop band in the early 90’s named Even As We Speak. Their female vocals were done by Mary Wyer, who was a friend of Angie Hart from Frente.

Shortly prior to Frente’s breakthrough cover of Bizarre Love Triangle, Even As We Speak recorded this:

Even As We Speak, Bizarre Love Triangle

Mary was reportedly Not Amused when the Frente version went big.

3 Likes

Wow! That’s a great story, actually. Thanks for sharing it.

2 Likes

Well you can blame @JemmieDuffs for finding this and me for sharing it…
I Am The Walrus

I Can See For Miles

Light My Fire

4 Likes

Crazy thing is he’s (IMO) not even the most talented Shankar gigging. :open_mouth:
Mind, if you gonna play sitar with that family background, there’s like, no pressure eh. If it were me, I’d have trained to be an electrician or something, lol.

2 Likes

Surprised nobody has posted this one yet. The dissonance of sweet sounding Nina Gordon singing a gangsta rap staple is pretty great.

3 Likes

Vic Reeves, supported by The Wonder Stuff belts out a Tommy Roe song, “Dizzy”.

Better than original because:

1. Sung in a grownup voice
  2. Peppy like someone inhaled 16 oz of Skittles
2 Likes

This one just popped up as I was driving home last night.

Temple of Love. Original by Sisters of Mercy is … okay.

Temple of Love covered by Unwoman (Erica Mulke) is wonderful

I think her voice and the organization and instrumentation of the cover just works better.

1 Like

After @Nonentity expressing their dislike/confusion for Europe’s The Final Countdown, I’m reminded of this wonderful cover by @Mindysan33’s favorite band Laibach.

2 Likes

I don’t know if they’re my favorite band… one of, to be sure. They just figure into my dissertation, so I’ve been reading about/listening to them…

3 Likes

I wasn’t being entirely serious. :slight_smile: I know you’re familiar with their work and have referenced them many times before. I think it’s awesome that you did a dissertation referencing them. They are definitely interesting and misunderstood.

2 Likes

Indeed. Even though I’m going to end up changing the last chapter of my disseration, I’m keeping everything I’ve written about them and Fela Kuti in it… They are fascinating in what they were/are trying to do and how well they represent a popular culture critique of the modern world. All without winking at the audience too much.

4 Likes

I didn’t notice this, until just now when somebody liked my first reply to it :smiley:

2 Likes

The whole album rules… Tori doin’ good things!

3 Likes

Still don’t care about what the boys want to hold onto at night but I love this cover. :slight_smile: