Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann loses defamation lawsuits against Rolling Stone, CBS, ABC, NYT, and Gannett

Originally published at: Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann loses defamation lawsuits against Rolling Stone, CBS, ABC, NYT, and Gannett | Boing Boing

10 Likes

On summary judgment, no less.
(Meaning the plaintiffs were so lacking in ability to support their claims, the court decided without a trial)

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

42 Likes

CNN and NBC should have stood their ground.

33 Likes

Yeah, reading the Law & Crime account of this ruling, it seems odd to me that CNN and NBC didn’t stand their ground. The judge was being generous to even allow this case to proceed to discovery. He basically said initially that he didn’t think they had a case, but it was plausible, so he was going to allow it to go to discovery. And that’s the point at which CNN and NBC settled. That’s a strange call. I mean, the judge basically told them “Hey, you’re probably going to win this, but I’m just going to err on the side of caution and let them see if they can find anything in discovery.”

13 Likes

Excellent. Fuck that guy. Hope he lost his shirt in legal fees.

18 Likes

They may have settled for a very small amount. I certainly hope it was for less then the cost of Sandman’s MAGA hat.

19 Likes

His lawyers are eager to file an appeal. I have no idea if they expect to get paid for their trouble.

11 Likes

Given that all those teens were odious little shits that were apparently harassing people, I’m glad at least he didn’t win, though I hope the settlement didn’t amount to anything either.

26 Likes

I wish Mr. Sandmann a long and deeply unsuccessful and humiliating life.

But we all know he’ll end up becoming a wingnut influencer like Shapiro and D’Souza. >:/

11 Likes

Thoughts and prayers

7 Likes

He can recover his legal fees by licensing out his image from that screenshot as an illustration for Backpfeifengesicht.

11 Likes

They likely settled for peanuts. It was early in litigation. Nobody makes big offers at that stage

9 Likes

Oooh I suspect the usual deep-pocketed suspects are stumping all the legal fees and booking sympathetic interview slots for him on Fox.

10 Likes

Not to mention that most of the claims had already been thrown out and the case was only being allowed to continue on some minor points that wouldn’t have gotten him the millions he wanted even if it was decided in his favor.

8 Likes

Where’s that smirk now, you entitled little turd?

30 Likes

He should bring this whole incident up in confession. I’m sure the right priest can come up with some creative penance.

13 Likes

Unfortunately, all too often these are taken up by a deep pockets sociopath when they reach this level of notoriety.

1 Like

It’s not about right or wrong, but gambling on potential legal expenses. If they settled for some meager pittance like $2000, that’s less than a day’s work for their legal team (not counting lunch). They probably have an established threshold for cases like this.

3 Likes

There’s only one fact that matters in this case: in that photo, by looking at his face, you can tell for certain that he’s a prick.

I bet no one’s laid this out for him, because no one wants to admit it, but there is simply no way he can ever redeem himself while that photo exists. Sorry.

9 Likes

He really defamed himself with that picture. No lawsuit necessary with that in the evidence file.

8 Likes