Coyotes on the streets of San Francisco

I just watched this about The Prodigy last week.

Before this video I hadn’t seen Keith with long hair. Dude was beautiful inside and out.

4 Likes

The dolphins were coming up to the lagoon shore in Venice, which was unusual (normally boat traffic prevents it). The deer in Nara don’t normally go into town.

We could add the monkeys in Thailand that are invading town because there’s no tourists to feed them to the list as well.

4 Likes

We get all those in Portland, too.

2 Likes

Its all fun and games until they start learning how to effectively hunt homeless people and drunk teenagers.

1 Like

19 Likes

The Japanese deer live on the grounds of a temple/park adjacent to Nara City.They were already accustomed to people and were known to come into town in small numbers. But without people to feed them in the park and shoo them away in the town, they got a little presumptive

At the underground commuter rail station

Outside the station

Pretty much, declaring it their own property. Nara deer are kinda jerks.

7 Likes

The Nara deer go into town once in a while, but they typically get driven off by people.
With nobody to feed them in the park or shoo them away, they have appropriated Nara city their own.

1 Like

They’re a lot like the UC Santa Cruz deer

1 Like
4 Likes

The major difference is priests on the grounds of Todaiji Temple where the deer hang out, act as unofficial park rangers. Setting up feeding/watering stations, pruning antlers if they get big enough to harm tourists, keeping them out of traffic… The deer are the symbol of the prefecture and venerated as sacred.

That being said, they are big furry miscreants half the time. Prone to accosting people for food.

3 Likes

I see a variation for the Untitled Goose game.

4 Likes

I’m thinking, “Whoa, wildlife. We’re just staying inside - we’re not all gone yet.”

3 Likes

With a small herd!

“We wanted to blast the world free of history… picture yourself planting radishes and seed potatoes on the fifteenth green of a forgotten golf course. You’ll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle. We’ll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what’s left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night.“

— Chuck Pahlaniuk, Fight Club

4 Likes

Multiplayer, like an escape room, but with miscreant deer.

ETA: Or both! Miscreant deer and untitled geese. Aw heck, let’s add trash pandas and coyotes too.

2 Likes

Yeah, like the Thai monkeys that are used to being fed by tourists and who are now invading nearby towns to make up for the sudden lack thereof.

1 Like

I rarely venture outside of the east end of town and saw one on the path just below Coit tower about 3 weeks ago, they’re still there. It was late and I wasn’t sure whether to be scared or not.

1 Like

“Beautiful” is a weird way of saying “vicious pet-eating varmint”. But this underscores that most people aren’t aware that almost every city in the US has a huge coyote population.

The only weird thing is seeing them during the day, as they tend to be nocturnal. This is probably because it’s the littering season, when the females stay home with new pups and the males get bolder in their search for new food to drag back. If you see any out, the recommendation is to honk your horn and drive them off, to encourage them to stay nocturnal.

2 Likes

I can attest to this. Been to Nara a couple times, and been to Todaiji. Deer are everywhere there, and they walk they streets mobbing people and shopkeepers. There are coin operated food pellet machines like gumball machines lining the street to Todaiji temple.

1 Like

My folks used to warn me: "Watch out for the neighborhood “cougars”.

1 Like