Watch: A wild coyote found in a Los Angeles classroom on first day of school

Originally published at: Watch: A wild coyote found in a Los Angeles classroom on first day of school | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Well you can’t get all those crazy engineering skills if you don’t hit the books.

26 Likes

Was he on the lam for killing cats?

5 Likes

Please tell me they’ve decided to officially change their mascot, so they are now the Coyotes.

5 Likes

Waiting for a punchline to “A coyote, a … and a … walk into a classroom…”

Poor thing. It’s a little surprising that it cowers like a dog rather than looking prepared to fight.

7 Likes

The couple of coyotes I’ve come across (on the east coast) were definitely non-aggressive towards people. By this time, they are used to being around people (and in fact thrive in urban areas)

5 Likes

I actually see coyotes all the time here. I’ve just never seen one stuck in a corner and imagined that their instinct when trapped would be to put up a show of aggression.

Wile E Coyote Scare GIF by Looney Tunes

14 Likes

Well, lets face it: we’ve killed off the most aggressive coyotes with habitats near civilization, along with the more aggressive wolves, bobcats, cougars, rattlesnakes, and other threats to little humans. When a man reported on a local FB group that a “large cat” had been seen by a neighbor’s kid while waiting for the school bus, the members had already formed a hunting party and were coordinating the planned execution of said beast when the “large cat” was discovered, in fact, to be a dog on a chain in its own yard. Multiply this over-reaction by the thousands of times it has played out fatally, and you have some pretty extreme pressure for wildlife to be either cute, or desperate to get away from the murderous plains apes invading their habitat.

9 Likes

Always be wary of cornered animals.

7 Likes

Go figure on the morning I see a coyote adolescent sniffing out breakfast in my back woods, BB has a few coyote stories.

2 Likes

Apparently authorities just had to call on a guy in Berkeley who had put out a bounty on the local coyote who killed his free-range cat.

The way I see it, if you allow your pet to roam free hunting the local wildlife you don’t get to complain when nature returns the favor.

5 Likes

Growing up in Southern California in the 80s there was a street gang called Los Coyotes. This means that my high school always had a few Coyotes in it.

1 Like

Um… nature’s healing? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hey! Elementary school is free and compulsory in the USA. Give the critter a chance!

i dont want to go renee zellweger GIF

5 Likes

What’s now call Porter Ranch was a portion of Northridge. So this is practically the same neighborhood as the bear cub who went shopping at the grocery store a week or two ago. As with most periods of drought, the wildlife is having a hard time making it in their habitats. Decades of development has also reduced the habitat. We’re going to see more and more wild animals entering seeking food, water, and shelter in the suburbs.

3 Likes

BUT was it on opiods??

1 Like

Wait, where’s the class hamster?

1 Like

Wait a minute. Is this a school for Louisiana transplants in NorCal?