Watch: A wild coyote found in a Los Angeles classroom on first day of school

This coyote is going to have a surprise if it explores further learning locations:

9 Likes

He was just trying to be the change he wished to see in the world. Give the guy a chance!

1 Like

I really struggle with this one, as when I was growing up in rural England, all of our cats were “free range”, so to speak. And for good reason! They kept rodent populations under control, and we rarely if ever had rat or mouse problems.

But I can’t deny that when cats are allowed to roam free, they have a massive impact on local wildlife.
Or ornamental fishponds…
My second cat, Mona, proved herself an expert fisher and completely depopulated both neighbours’ fishponds in a matter of weeks. I was alternately proud of and aghast at her skills.

There’s also the notable, proven links between increased domestic cat population and the decrease in songbirds.

And it’s not the cats’ fault! They’re just doing what comes naturally.
But keeping a cat indoors its whole life strikes me as being unnaturally cruel.

Nowadays, I contribute the only way I can, and simply don’t have a cat.

3 Likes

Louisiana?

Last I checked Lourdes was in the département Hautes-Pyrénées (and parishes are a form of organisations found all across Europe).

1 Like

Any veterinarian (including the two in my immediate family) would disagree strongly with you on this point. Cats live much healthier and happier lives indoors. Every disease a cat gets comes from outside, and outdoor cats pretty much all get feline leukemia, feline parvovirus, or other things sooner or later. Not to mention fleas, getting hit by cars, and being generally terrified at random.

Cats are domesticated animals. They do not have some “need” to roam free in the wild to be happy. They want routine, comfort, easy access to food, occasional entertainment, and a territory to call their own. Keeping them inside does all of that nicely.

Maybe a little, but much more likely what they were killing were all the birds. It’s a myth that rodents are the primary pray for domestic cats. Mouse traps work just as well and you don’t have to take them to the vet.

Massive indeed. Outdoor domestic cats are the number one killer of birds. The nice ones that people like, too- the little songbirds and such. They’re not killing pooping pigeons or squawking crows.

3 Likes

Case in point…my cat Pastel was a street cat that I would feed when she came around to my door. After a bit, she simply invited herself in, and that was that. :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.